The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Berkshire question

Lorne

I would like to find out about a Lt. R.A. Turner who I understand transferred to the RFC in 1916 but washed out after 12 hours flying for "health reasons" . I understand he rejoined his infantry regiment , 3rd. battalion, Royal Berkshire Regt. in December 1916

From what I understand the Regular army had a 3rd (Reserve) Battalion formed in Aug. 1914: Reading and remained in the U.K. until moving to Ireland in Nov. 1917.

There also seems to be a Territorial Army 3/4 Battalion that formed at Chelmsford on Mar. 25, 1915 and became the 4th (Reserve)m Bn. on April 8, 1916 It also remained in the U.K. throughout the war as well.

Can you please suggest the best way for me to find out more about Lt. R.A. Turner or any other relevant information? I tried the Royal Berkshire website but nothing came up on R.A. Turner. I would would be more convenient for me if I could receive replies sent to lbohn@shaw.ca

Best regards,

Lorne Bohn

(Canada)

Lorne - Welcome to the Forum.

To get an idea on researching soldiers of the Great War click HERE, which will take you to the mother site (Long, Long Trail). Good luck :)

The only two officers named "R A Turner" that I can find in Army Lists from Feb 1915 to Nov 1917 are an Royal Engineer Captain and a Machine Gun Corps 2nd Lieutenant. Dick Flory

• 2 weeks later...