The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Length of Service

hmsk212

Hi

In amongst my Silver War Badge collection I have a badge for a Private in the Army Ordnance Corps who enlisted on 18/01/1915 and was discharged on Medical Grounds (Para 392 iiic ) on 26/02/1915. This is a service of just 40 days, needless to say he didn't serve abroad. Do any of the Pals have swbs or other memorabilia to men with similar or even shorter lengths of service.

Steve

Cannot compete with that but I have a Private of 2RWF who had completed 13 years with the colours [and no reserve commitment] as the battalion was mobilized, was nevertheless shipped with them to Rouen, qualified thus for the 1914 star without clasp [and BWM and VM] and was sent straight back home.

Medal roll absolutely unequivocal as to the facts.

Seems to have avoided any further service, just no trace found. Lucky Jim, lucky lucky Jim.

I bet he had some war stories to tell down at the Legion!

I know of a man in the 19th London Regiment who was discharged sick after just 6 days and who received the Silver War Badge. From the roll:

2055 Pte Frederick R Reid, enlisted 5 Aug 1914

discharged sick under Paragraph 156 (II) of Territorial Force Regulations on 11 Aug 1914

Guys

How about spinning it the other way and asking for long service periods?

I can start it off with 1905 through 1938 for one Terrier. Only one break as POW.

Regards

Andy