The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW look up please

buxboy

SDGW look up please for Pte George Peart L/7848 11th Middlesex. Died 26/10/16.

Thanks

Clint Lawson

Clint

Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

11th Btn

George Peart Private L/7848

Born- Whitechapel Middlesex

Enlisted- London

Died Date-26/10/16

Died How- Died

Theatre of War-France and Flanders.

Regards Doug

Thanks Doug. To answer John, I have just bought George Pearts 1914 trio & Plaque, he went to France with 4th Middlesex and was at Mons and the retreat, but since the medals hav'nt even turned up yet I've done no further research.

Clint Lawson

Clint

Thanks for the info. Always interested in the "whys" when someone's first post is just a bald request for info without explanation. My Xmas present last year, from the whole family, was a copy of SDGW - invaluable.

If you're not familiar with SDGW, you may not know that the info that Doug has posted mentioning that your man "died", normally means through natural causes.

John

If you're not familiar with SDGW, you may not know that the info that Doug has posted mentioning that your man "died", normally means through natural causes.

John - Although that is correct for many enteries, I have found that some marked as 'Died' in SDGW are listed as 'killed in action' or 'died of wounds' in war diaries.

I've just been going through the war diary of the 1/4th Berkshires and cross-referencing any casualties with SDGW. Some in the diary are listed as died of wounds, but in SDGW they are listed as killed in action.

Some in the diary are listed as died of wounds, but in SDGW they are listed as killed in action.

Is it possible that this difference could be due to a different method of collating the information. For example would the SDGW info on those who died of wounds be collated from Hospital, CCS records etc?. If this is the case, then only those who managed to 'make it' to a CCS or the like would be recorded as 'died of wounds'. Any which died before they reached a CCS would be recorded as 'killed in action'. The battalion war diaries would I assume be a little more accurate...............This is only a guess/pet theory of course & could be way off.

Lee/Will

Yep - I accept all the usual "provisos" about SDGW, but it's a good basis to start working from. I think you always need to test out what's recorded against any other information to hand.

For example, I've recently researched one guy who is recorded as KIA, but is buried next to a CCS location. My presumption is that he was alive when he left the trenches, but died on the way to the CCS. Up till then I've worked to the premise that KIA meant killed outright and "died of wounds" meant, as Will suggests, the man made it to some form of medical treatment (maybe not Aid Post, but Advanced Dressing Station)

John