The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Percy Appleby

pat

Please could somebody look up Percy N. Appleby for me?

I have a family tree of my grandmother's which shows her uncle and aunt, Annie and Percy Appleby, having: "One son, died of war wounds 1919" (ie my grandmother's first cousin).

I have found this family in the 1901 census living in Lambeth, South London. Percy senior was a shipper's clerk. Their son also turns out to have been called Percy. He was aged 5 in March 1901 so he would have been born in late 1895 or early 1896 and would have been 23 or 24 when he died, if the family tree is correct.

Other than this I have drawn a blank. He can't be any of the 3 P. Applebys on the CWGC roll of honour (the dates, ages and/or the NOK details are too far out). I have also not been able to find any reference in the London Gazette so I'm guessing he wasn't an officer (though from his father's social class, maybe he was). No idea as to his unit.

I should point out I am not related to the Applebys (in case any forum members are!) Appleby was Annie's married name.

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Pat

Hi Pat

The only Percy Appleby on Soldiers Died is

G/1273 Lance Corporal Percy Frank Appleby

2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

Killed in Action France & flanders 29/09/1918

Born Hammersmith

Enlisted Kingston-on-Thames

Residence Hampton Wick

He will, however, be one of the 3 men that you have already ruled out

Cheers

Steve

Thank you very much for looking him up, and so quickly.

Percy Frank looks a likely match, being another Londoner. But you are right that he is one I have ruled out. He was too young to be the same one (only 20 when he died, poor chap) and my chap Percy N was born in Lambeth according to the census.

I'll keep hunting though.

many thanks again

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

Now that the medal index cards A-B are on line :) I've made some progress. There are cards for 13 Percy Applebys, but only one Percy N.

9150 Manchester Regiment . Went to France 8.11.1915 (that would make him a Kitchener Pal)

41412 Labour Corps - that suggests he had been wounded (on the Somme?) and transferred to the Labour Corps when he had "recovered" but was not A1 fighting fit.

I'm still not sure this is him. What still puzzles me is:

- the family were all Londoners - no Manchester connection that I know of

- if he had recovered enough to be put in the Labour Corps, could he have died of the same wounds in 1919 - or was he wounded again?

If the family tree is correct and he died of wounds in 1919, then he is entitled to be remembered on the CWGC roll of honour and I am quite keen to try and get him put on.

Any further help gratefully received.

Pat

Pat.

A little extra on the P.N. Appleby of the Mancs.:

9150 Pte. P.N.Appleby, A Coy, II Platoon, 17/Manchesters.

He appears in the " Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour".

Dave.

Dave

that's fantastic. If he is in the Manchester roll of honour already, that could really help get him remembered on the CWGC too. Would you by any chance have a copy of the relevant page?

thank you - I feel this could be a bit of a breakthrough

Pat

Pat.

This is the page that lists him...

post-1-1075634241.jpg

...and this is his platoon photo...

(I can't really see how this will help in a case for the CWGC though, as it's a "Book" of Honour, not a "Roll" of honour - It shows early volunteers, not just casualties.)

Dave.

post-1-1075634407.jpg

I have a family tree of my grandmother's which shows her uncle and aunt, Annie and Percy Appleby, having: "One son, died of war wounds 1919" (ie my grandmother's first cousin). 

Pat,

to revisit the start of this thread - what is the evidence for him dying as a result of service? Is it purely what the family say/believe ? I believe CWGC would require documentary proof that his death was the result of war service.

Obtaining a death certificate might be a first step in identifying the man. I don't know how yoy do this but I think it was discussed somewhere on the forum recently.

Jock Bruce

Dave

sorry I misunderstood - I thought the book of honour only showed casualties. I didn't realise it showed all who served. Its great to have the list and the picture though.

Jock

Sadly no evidence at all, but that is what I am trying to hunt down. I am not even sure yet that this is the right chap. The death certificate will help, but I'll need to show that his death was linked to his war service too. If he did die of wounds in 1919 he must have suffered terribly and he deserves to be remembered. He was his parents' only child so there is no-one else to remember him.

Thanks to everyone for all the help here.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the answer. The death certificate arrived today. Percy Norman Appleby of 143 Bury Old Road, Prestwich died aged 24 years on 29th September 1919 at the Royal Infirmary in the district of Chorlton, Manchester.

Father Percy Appleby, same address, was present at his death. Percy junior’s occupation is given as shipping clerk (like his father) and ex-private 70th Labour Corps. His cause of death was Lympho-sarcoma Thoracis. According to my family medical guide this is what we know today as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: a tumor of the lymph glands.

So, it seems unlikely that his death was directly caused by war wounds. My theory is: he was wounded on the Somme (this would explain his transfer to the Labour Corps in 1917). In February 1919 he went back to live with his parents and was fit enough to go (back?) to work as a shipper’s clerk, only to die nine months later. It is hardly surprising that his parents put this down to his war wounds.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this search.

Dave, John and Ivor - I've emailed off forum to thank you in particular.

Pat