The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The meaning of medal insciptions

charger

Could you please help, what do the following inscriptions around the medals mean and is it possible to identify which regiments or units they served in. They are all relations the last 2 I never met. I think the first explains itself but conformation would be good, he was my Great Uncle but would never talk about the war.

234043 GNR. B.FISHER. R.A.

4370 WKR.E.M.ALLPRESS. Q.M.A.A.C.

07735 PTE.G.S.MURPHY. A.O.C.

Many thanks

Steve

Guest David Graham

The number is the man's/woman's regimental number followed by rank, ie Gnr is gunner, Pte is private, although I can't say what Wkr means. Obviously the next part is the mans name follwed by his regiment. RA is Royal Artillary, and I think the other two are Queen Mary's Army Auxilliary Corps & (Royal) Army Ordnance Corps.

Steve

The numbers shown for each individual are their respective Service Numbers.

In the same order as you have listed them the following ranks and units are identified:

Gunner B.Fisher, Royal Artillery

Worker E.M.Allpress, Queen Mary's Auxilliary Army Corps (the WW1 equivalent of the WW2 ATS) Worker (a female) equated to Private

Private G.S.Murphy. Army Ordnance Corps (became Royal in 1922).

Dave

Thank you both.

I have been trying to find out the christian name of the Allpress but (I apologise to all the ladies in the forum) did not think about it being a lady.

Steve

Charger

Email Jim Strawbridge. He has detailed records of many WW1 female service personnel - mostly casualties but he may be able to help with the name.

You can search for him by clicking on 'Members' at the top.

Charger

there is one female E Allpress in the right age group on the 1901 census site:

Elsie Allpress, born and living in West Ham, aged 6 in 1901 (so she'd have been in her early 20s in WW1)

Could that be her?

Pat

The E Allpress was my grandfathers sister first name Edith and was 15 at the 1901 cencus. From what little information we have she served in France

She married Private Murphy, which is the other set of medels that I have.

Thanks for the information

Steve