The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1914 Stars to Guards battalions

Terry

From what I can understand, 1914 Stars to the various Guards units only have the regimental name, not the battalion, on the reverse. ie. Pte.A.Bloggins, G.Gds, instead of the more common Pte.Snooks, 4/Middlesex.

How can one determine the actual battalion of the recipient? Does the MIC indicate such? The Coldstream Guards 1st Bn was with the 1st Division, while their 2nd and 3rd Bns were with the 2nd Division. It would be nice to narrow down the actual battalion.

I would be surprised if the Medal Roll at PRO were not arranged alphabetically in order of battalions: RWF certainly are. That should solve your problem.

Am pretty sure I have seen some with the battalion on - don't have mine to hand to check. However, the MIC usually says which battalion they were in, as does the BWM/Vic roll in WO329.

Thanks fellows; I have a trio on the way and it has the MIC so I may be in luck.

I note that a 1914 Star trio to the Devon Regiment has been listed on Speedbid today which has a star with no battalion number a la the Guards units we have been discussing. Perhaps there are other examples....

• 2 months later...

Apologies for a rather belated reply to this thread but I can confirm that Coldstream Guards 1914 Stars do not include the recipients battalion. 1914 stars to the Grenadier Guards, however, do include battalion.

I'd be interested in corresponding with fellow Grenadier collectors; over the past few years I've been compiling a full searchable Lotus database which, at present, contains the details of just under 10,000 Grenadier's who served during the Great War. My main sources of information thus far include the 1914 Star rolls for 1st and 2nd Bn.'s, SWB rolls, SDGW & CWGC, Ponsonsby's, old medal catalogues and local newspapers / roll's of honour.

Best wishes

Ed