The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where/who are these Middlesex officers?

Chris_Baker

This is a postcard I bought years ago. It appears to be a group of officers of a battalion of the Middlesex Regiment. Any ideas on the location, battalion or individuals would be great.

post-1-1070957549.jpg

Are you sure it is Middlesex, Chris? The badge on the close up doesn't look like Middlesex - it looks more like RAMC, or are my flu-infected eyes deceiving me?!

Paul

I've had a good squint again at the badge, and even with a decent magnifying glass it is difficult to tell. The two (ie RAMC and Middlesex) badges are quite similar when indistinct! In one of the closeups I've just posted, I'd veer to RAMC as the scroll below the badge seems shorter than the Middlesex one, which sticks out at the sides. And there ould be a hint of a crown on top?

Looks even more like RAMC now you've posted some more, and there is about the right number of officers for a Field Ambulance? Unless someone can ID any of the men in the photo?

The architecture of the background may give a hint as to place- in it's widest sense.

Any chance of a close up please?

Chris

Thank you for posting the close up of the officer to left of CO.(It was the first one that you posted). He reminded me of an officer in a photograph that I have.

Is it a net behind the group where you can see a white line crossing the picture ?

Myrtle

The officers of the 4th Lawn Tennis Dragoons, perhaps?

The 'net' on the right end looks more like a badminton net from the height that it is set.

And there is a Padre, not often included in regimental groups. Average age a bit high for a fighting unit. RAMC gets my vote, probably taken either at Mendinghem, Dosinghem or Bandagem just in front of the poultice drying rack. .

I disagree about the architecture. The steepness of the roof on the right and the shutters at the window indicates France to me!

Alec

I agree

I think it is either French or Flemish, though probably French.

Where though is another matter.

Chris - the photograph that I have which reminds me of your man is below. However the man on the right is more the height of the man on the left of your CO.

My men are two of a group of 5 officers. They are from different regiments but I believe they were all attached to the Middlesex Infantry Labour Corps.

Myrtle

Officers_of_the_Middlesex.doc