The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt. James Europe AEF

paul guthrie

This man was band leader of the 369th Infantry of provisional 93 Division which fought well with the French. It was black. This unit was from NYC. The band was by all accounts terrific, put on a hell of a show in the victory parade. Motto of the unit was " goddam les go!"

Anyone know if there are recordings of this band? Thanks.

Aha! The "Harlem Hellfighters Band" !!!

Yes, recordings do exist. I'll try and locate a source. In the meantime, here's a photo of James Reece Europe and the Harlem Hellfighters on board a troopship (I think returning to the States).

Dave.

post-1-1070979212.jpg

Sadly Europe was stabbed to death by a disgruntled musician soon after he returned to the US. Paul next time you're at a bookstore check Ken Burns's History of Jazz if I recall he's got the whole story.

Take care,

Neil

I had never heard of this chap before (though his name rings a bell!), so thankyou Paul for adding to my collection, and everyone for giving background info.

Hello Paul,

My friend Brian Rust has quite a few original recordings of James Europe and his band. Originally he told me the story of how he was murdered as well. If you would like some of these, please let me know and I will put you onto Brian. He has made countless cassettes for me (I'm afraid his technological skills do not lend themselves to burning CDs at this stage) of music popular before and during the Great War. Which probably explains why I like it, because the variety he has is astounding. I believe he has more than 10,000 78 RPM records, mainly from the 1920-1940 era, many very rare.

Let me know if you would like to contact him. I'm afraid he does not have an email address.

Cynthia

PS I had lunch with Stanley Jaffe on Monday and he sends his regards, unless he has already emailed you. We were talking about you, so I wonder if your ears were burning!