The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Possible 16 th Division

Guest Douglas

A rather poor picture of grandfather, enlisted in Ireland 1914, we think.

Any id of uniform and equipment would help. Anyone recognise the shoulder titles?

post-1-1071007566.jpg

Yes I thought so. I'm wondering if he was with field artillery. I only recently noticed what seems to be a stick under his arm. Any ideas of significance?

He's wearing 2 "good conduct" chevrons indicating 5 years good conduct service. If your grandfather did enlist in 1914, then this dates the photo to at least the 1918/19 period, but ,personally, I think it's earlier.

He's wearing a lanyard over his left shoulder, this could designate a cavalry unit (Artillery wore them over the right shoulder) - unless, of course, the photo was printed in reverse as sometimes happens, but I don't think this is the case looking at his shoulder titles.

Hope this is of some help. (I can't see the stick that you refer to - where is it?)

Dave.

Thanks for that. Just above right hand. It could also just be a fold in the original print from which this was taken.

I'm new to this area of research, but Ifound a reference in family data that suggested he had enlisted after being in National Volunteers (Irl). Apparently they mostly went to 47 Brigade 16th Div. Did they have cavalry?

Douglas

unless, of course, the photo was printed in reverse as sometimes happens, but I don't think this is the case looking at his shoulder titles.

I think that the way his tunic is buttoned also shows that it is printed the right way round.

Nigel

Ifound a reference in family data that suggested he had enlisted after being in National Volunteers (Irl). Apparently they mostly went to 47 Brigade 16th Div. Did they have cavalry?

The South Irish Horse were the only (special reserve)cavalry unit attached to the 16th Div (untill 1916).

The shoulder titles look like "R.?.C" or "A.?.C." to me. The Army Service Corps had it's 16th Divisional Train (142,143,144 and 145 Companies A.S.C.)attached to the 16th Div. These would have included "Drivers" and the "horsey" occupations where the soldiers would have worn spurs and had the shoulder title "A.S.C.".

This could be it (I can't think of any other possibility for a similar title in the 16th Div.)

Dave.

Out of interest do you know if soldiers enlisted directly into the ASC or were drafted from other reiments?

A bit of both I'd suppose.

Dave.