The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Killed in Action

reformbill

John(Jack) Taylor Carter, 2nd Lt. 1/7th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment was killed in action at Passchendale Ridge on 9th October 1917. There is a grave in St. Peter's Churchyard, Sowerby, WRY in his name and no mention of him in the CWGC records. Does this mean that his body was returned home for burial? If so, does anyone know how usual was this practice?

There is a 2nd Lt John Taylor Carter 7th Bn, West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own) on the CWGC database died 09/10/1917 aged 26 years.

Commemorated on Tyne Cot Memorial - Panel 42 to 47 and 162.

Son of George and Emma Carter, of Old Hall, Sowerby, Sowerby Bridge, Yorks.

Is this your man?

If so, is the grave that you mention in St Peter's Churchyard his, or simply that his name is commemorated on a relatives headstone, e.g. wife?

Marc

Guest Pete Wood

In the light of Marc's reply, I would suggest that this headstone is a family 'marker' and that this soldier's body is not buried in the graveyard.

This is not uncommon.

The body was not returned home.

It was common practice for next-of-kin to have the name of a loved one buried overseas inscribed on a headstone - usually of a parent or sibling. Often there is no mention of the fact that they are actually buried abroad.

This practice often fools the unwary when going around UK churchyards/cemeteries.

The most interesting and optimistic inscription of this type I have seen says words to the effect of 'Also, our son Jim, buried either in France or in Westminster Abbey'

Thank you for all your helpful comments. The details provided by Marc are absolutely correct.

I was obviously fooled by the gravestone inscription which reads:

In loving memory of JOHN TAYLOR

JACK CARTER

2nd Lt West Yorkshire Regt,only

son of GEORGE and EMMA CARTER

of Brockwell Gate, Triangle

killed in action Passchendale Ridge,October 9th 1917

aged 26 years

"Make him to be numbered with thy saints

in glory everlasting"

( This is followed by inscriptions recording the death of his father aged 72 in 1928 and his mother aged 78 in 1936)

There is an example of this in New Castle, Kentucky. Though about 70% of known US were brought home Samuell Douthitt Hill NZRB is buried in Somme American Cemetery Bony.

In New Castle there is a near perfect replica of a WW1 us Christian headstone. The front gives his name & Unit, rear his burial Details. My article on Hill was in Stand To!, I think January 2002.