Guest Pete Wood

Name: MARTIN, ALBERT TREVOR DE MORTEVAL

Initials: A T d M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: West India Regiment

Secondary Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/12/1917

Additional information: Husband of E. Louise Martin, of 54, Clapham Rd., Bedford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. 49.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY

1/5 Welsh Fusilier was part of 159 Brigade, which was part of 53 Division. The events took place in the lead up to the entering of the Holy City, Jerusalem, by Sir Edmund Allenby.

Major Martin was detached from 2 West India Regiment (not to be confused with West Indian Regiment?) to 5 Welsh (Flintshire) Fusiliers TF.

On the 9th December an advanced guard of 159 Brigade was ordered to move at dawn; this consisted of two squadrons of the Division’s cavalry (Westminster Dragoons) the 5 Welch, a section of the 91st Heavy Battery, 436 Field Coy RE (less one section), the brigade machine gun company and 30 cyclists past Solomon Pools (Bethlehem). A few Turkish stragglers (the Turks were in full retreat at this stage) were found, but no resistance was met. The ancient monastery of Mar Elias (2 miles N of Bethlehem) was reached at 8am and by 8.45 the advanced guard was at the walls of Jerusalem. It then marched past the Jaffa Gate and through the walls of Jerusalem, past the Damascus Gate amidst “a wildly excited populace.” The men took up positions at the NE corner of the city. The Turks were retreating on the road running North to South and firing machine guns at the guard.

At 2.20pm, after a visit by the Brigade commander Br-General N E Money, 5 Welsh Fus were ordered to advance down the Jericho Road and seize El Azariye (Bethany) for the sake of its water wells. 4 Welsh was despatched to outflank the enemy on its left on the mount of Olives. Unforunately the route taken by 4 Welsh was via an impassable vally at Wadi en Nar.. So 5 Welsh were unprotected and alone.

The attack on the Mount of Olives, timed for 4.15, was therefore cancelled.

There are no casualties for officers or men of the 5 Welsh, that I can find, around the date in question.

SDGW shows that Major Martin died of wounds, so unless we find another source of information (the war diary usually mentions officer casualties) it must be assumed that a sniper was responsible for the death of this officer, or he received his injuries while the Turks were firing their machine guns at 5 Welsh Fus in Jerusalem itself.

The official history records the 10th of December as being very quiet except on the front of 53 Division. So there are no further clues here.

TPots

The other regiment was the British West Indies Regiment.

Major Martin was a member of the West India Regiment (from the West Indies and not from India). It was raised in 1795 and was formerly known as Buckmaster's Light Infantry. It was the oldest British colonial regiment and had its origins in the American War of Independence.

At the outbreak of WW1, 1 bn was stationed in Sierra Leone and the regiment saw action in German West Africa and German East Africa.

It was disbanded in 1927 but reformed in 1958 becoming the Jamaica Regiment in 1962.

Thanks for that, Terry. But our man was with 2 Bn West India Regt.

I know they were involved in the fight for Palestine, but most of the references I have found for 2 Bn are in 1918. So where were 2 Bn at the time of his death - in training....??

Was this why Major Martin was attached to 5 Welsh Fusiliers...??

Husband of E. Louise Martin, of 54, Clapham Rd., Bedford.

Racing - You beat me to the info, but thanks for posting it.

Incidently, his house is 4.8 miles from my parents' house....small world isn't it? I'll see if I can get a photo of it, if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Lee, I would be interested in seeing it - as would others I am sure. I have a picture, in my mind, of a nice Victorian terraced house.

Is Major Martin recorded on the local war memorial?? He was born in Newbury, so I don't know if this will affect things - i.e. his wife lived in Bedford, but his family might still be living in the Newbury area.....

You're more than welcome to post tomorrow's guy. I am getting grief for the amount of time I am on this forum - and we've got a few boxes of teapots to get ready for the courier.

Racing - I'll see what I can do mate. Had a bit of an accident this morning, I've discovered that my path (laid by the wonderful people who built this estate) ices up quite nicely overnight! I've managed to b*~~er up my left thumb and set my hip back a few weeks :(

I'll see if I can get to Bedford by the weekend and I'll post the picture early next week, if that's OK?

Is Major Martin recorded on the local war memorial?? He was born in Newbury, so I don't know if this will affect things - i.e. his wife lived in Bedford, but his family might still be living in the Newbury area.....

Unfortunately there is a number of memorials in & around Bedford & Albert Martin isn't listed on any that I have researched.............However I know there's quite a large memorial near to the TA centre which he could be on.............Lee over to you....... unless you had another in mind, in which case please say as I may already have info on it.

From the Bradfield College Register, 1935:

928 Martin, Albert Trevor de Morteval

Born, May 1872, admitted Jan 1886, left July 1891. Prefect, 1890. RMC Sandhurst; Entered 1891, 163rd; Final, 43rd, 1892. W. India Cadet, 1893; W. India Regt., 2nd Lieut 1893; Lieut, 1894; Capt, 1899; Ashantee Exped 1896 (Ashantee Star); Capt, 2nd W. India Regt., attd. 1/5 Welsh Regt., 1914. Married 1906. Died of Wounds. 1917.

Regards. Dick Flory

However I know there's quite a large memorial near to the TA centre which he could be on.............Lee over to you

Will - Is that the Memorial opposite the barracks in Kempston? If it is, I'm not sure that there are any names visible as I think those are recorded in books kept inside the memorial.

I'll have a look (assuming I can get through the heavy traffic during the massive roadworks in that area), and it gives me an excuse to visit my Nan who lives next to the barracks :)

Incidently - My grandfather joined the Army (5th Beds & Herts) at those barracks in 1939 (why he didn't join up in his home town of Southall, Middx, I don't know) and I joined the Army there in 1985...spooky!

However I know there's quite a large memorial near to the TA centre which he could be on.............Lee over to you

Will - Is that the Memorial opposite the barracks in Kempston? If it is, I'm not sure that there are any names visible as I think those are recorded in books kept inside the memorial.

Yep thats the one I was thinking of............passed it a couple of times in the car but never had the chance to stop to look