The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Freemasons at the Front

The_Historian

Hi,

I remember reading acounts of this years ago. It seems that on a number of occasions, men desperately made the Masonic Sign of Distress in a last ditch attempt to avoid death, and were taken prisoner by shocked opponents who were also in the Craft.

I can't for the life of me remember which reference works I saw these in though-any ideas? Or is it just another Great War myth?

Regards,

Gordon

Hi,

I remember reading acounts of this years ago. It seems that on a number of occasions, men desperately made the Masonic Sign of Distress in a last ditch attempt to avoid death, and were taken prisoner by shocked opponents who were also in the Craft.

I can't for the life of me remember which reference works I saw these in though-any ideas? Or is it just another Great War myth?

Regards,

Gordon

Well, maybe you ought to tell us what exactly this "Masonic Sign of Distress" is?

I may have read of it, and not realised that that was what it was! (w.e.g.) :unsure:

It must be quite a contortion to be able to hold your hands up, roll up your trouser leg AND wave a wet fish around all at the same time?!?! (especially under battlefield conditions) :lol:

Andy

Hi,

Actually, I did a bit of reading, and thought I had found an example of the "Masonic Sign of Distress" being used near Ypres in December 1917.

In the end it turned out to have been the umpteenth Blankshires Chritmas Party, - "A" Company doing the "Hokey Cokey"!

You take your left leg out, in out, in out, and shake it all about....

There is a well known anecdote concerning Arthur Currie (himself a freemason). In 1915, concerned with the absence of counter battery work, he is said to have asked his artillery advisor: "Is there some kind of free Masonry between the artillery of both sides? They fire at the opposing infantry but never at each other."

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that some non-Masonic books (= "Please, honourable The_Historian,

don't bury me after ripping out my ..." :unsure: ) show the hailing call in a diagram

that could be part of a hesitant version of the international "I surrender" gesture.

Thus, if intending to surrender anyway, a Mason could move "through" the sign

before ending up at a more universal one if still necessary. Whether this has been

documented as fact or just speculation is for someone with more knowledge to say.

It would be worth a try as the captor is unlikely to allow the chance to exchange

handshakes ...

Frank

If you Google for Masonic sign of distress you can learn the prescribed antics and the words that go with them if you want the magic to work. There are a number of references to people trying this as a lifesaving technique. At a glance, I did not see any that related to the Great War. Most seemed to refer to the American Civil War.

Most interesting!! Some of the most enduring photo's from WW2 in the Australian War Memorial are those of Italians surrending at Bardia. Seems a lot of them may have been Masons...........there were also seem to have been quite a few in Singapore! Have a look at this link and scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.ephesians5-11.org/handshakes.htm

Gordon:

I can't comment on the Great War, but there are enduring stories of the Masonic distress sign being given by combatants in the American Civil War to gain favorable treatment or quarter from the enemy. The most famous of these was when Mosby's Rangers had chosen six Union prisoners for execution in retaliation for a like number being previously executed by the Yankees. One of the condemned, a lieutenant, saw that one of Mosby's officers wore a Masonic pin and gave the distress sign. The officer intervened and had the lieutenant spared, although they simply executed another in his place--I wonder if the lieutenant felt any guilt, seems like it would have been a hard thing to have to live with.

Chris