The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William Phillips, West Somerset Yeomanry

pat

I have just (in the past hour) discovered my grandfather's first cousin on the CWCG roll of honour. I had no idea this family lost a son in WW1.

I am certain it is him from the next of kin, age and Somerset connection. He was born in Thurloxton, youngest of five.

Name: PHILLIPS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: West Somerset Yeomanry

Unit Text: 2nd/1st

Date of Death: 23/02/1915

Service No: 1250

Additional information: Son of Frank and Emily Phillips, of 14, Raleigh Terrace, Taunton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 211.

Cemetery: TAUNTON (ST. JAMES'S) CEMETERY

Why was he buried at home in Taunton?

According to the absolutely fantastic "long long trail" web site, his unit formed September 1914, and remained in UK until moved to Ireland in May 1918. So did William never go abroad at all? But if he died in the UK why does he count as "war dead"?

Does anybody know if his brothers Frank, John and Charles were also in this regiment (I think they all survived the war)?

many thanks for any help

Pat

Lee

Thanks very much for looking him up. The double LL is correct, though it is very often spelled wrong. As far as I can make out the West Somerset Yeomanry (Hussars) was a territorial unit before the war, dropped the "hussars" part and became normal infantry in 1914.

So I'm still none the wiser on how he died so early on in the war and apparently without going abroad. I suppose it could have been a training accident in the UK.

His number looks low. Could someone tell me, does this mean he was a territorial before the war (like his cousin my Grandad)?

thanks a lot

Pat (Phillips)

Hello, I'm back again.

Please excuse my ignorance, being new to this. I have just learned from another track that all soldiers who died counted as "war dead" even if they died of natural causes. That strikes me as a bit odd if they would have died anyway and their death was not connected to their war service.

Anyway, maybe poor William just died of an illness.

Does SDITGW give a cause of death?

thanks again for all the help

Pat

Thank Lee. I think that 's the answer - not killed, not died of wounds. Just died. That explains how he died so early in the war and without going abroad.

Thanks a lot for looking him up

Pat