The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Edmund Marsden

jimmyjames

Edmund Marsden was born on 19th April 1881 and after attending Cheltenham College between 1896 and 1898 was accepted at the Royal Military College Sandhurst. Granted a commission on the Unattached List in 1900 he joined the Indian Staff Corps in 1901. Was serving with the 64th Pioneers when he died of malarial fever at Myitkyina, Burma on 26th May 1915. Not recorded in the Debt of Honour Register at the CWGC so no record of place of burial.

He is commemorated on the Cheltenham War Memorial and in the Chapel at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Jimmy James

Jimmy - Welcome to the Forum.

With the details you give, he probably ought to be recorded by CWGC.

Can you give details of the evidence you have relating to his position in the forces and his death? The India Office was notorious for bad paperwork and so he may be a genuine 'non-com' (non-commemorated serviceman) missing from CWGC's records. Unfortunately, merely being recorded on local memorials is not sufficient evidence - so many are wrong in various details.

If he is genuinely missing, we may be able to do something about it.

Terry, many thanks.

I will collate all the evidence my brother and I have, and perhaps we can proceed if a compelling case can be presented.

Regards

Jimmy James

www.remembering.org.uk