The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

William Alexander WALLACE

Paul Johnson

Can anyone help me with some research please?

William Alexander WALLACE. Born 1887, Married 1917, Died 1933?(No Trace Of His Death with the GRO)

Served in the Army prior to WW1. A photo of William was sent to the NAM and they have suggested that it is the uniform of the 2nd Scots Greys.. I could only find 2 W A Wallace's in the MIC's with scottish regiments, 1.Royal Scots, 2. A&S Highlanders. Could the Royal Scots man be the same individual?

Family sources state that Wallace was a Batman to Victor McLaglen (who later became an international film star) but I understand that McLaglen served with the Irish Guards.

Any suggestions on how I can establish which Regiment Wallace served with during WW1?

Hi Jock,

Thanx for this, I will give it a try.

Paul J

Oops, Sorry Jock

Missed a bit of info (stupid boy!)

He was Born in Glasgow in 1887. Married in Edmonton in 1917 & his occupation is shown as Ammunition Worker. I assume that he had left the army by then?

No trace of his death can be found. Apparently, he was either killed in an accident at the Docks where he worked (not sure which ones) or he committed suicide. This is supposed to have been in 1933.

If he was in the army prior to WW1, which Files do I need to look in at the PRO?

Thanx

Paul J

Paul,

try the PRO leaflet at

http://catalogue.pro.gov.uk/ExternalReques...eference=ri2005

for guidance on pre-WW1 records.

But don't assume he didn't serve in WW1. Did you look under W Wallace for medals? The Army didn't always record men with all their initials. I realise there are probably a lot of William Wallaces.

He might not have served overseas - hence no medals.

So might still be worth looking at WO 363/364

Jock