The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tom Worthington

MartinWills

Regular Pals will know that John Hartley has been researching his local war memorial. As with all memorials there is always one "mystery man". John was struggling with T R Worthington of the 1/6th Manchesters who was missing in action (presumed killed) at Gallipoli but is not recorded on the memorial to the missing at Helles.

Bit by bit the tale has unravelled. The Divisional History gave his name as killed at Gallipoli in August 1915 .Some further research into the 1/6th Manchesters has supported this advice.

John has yet to delve into the service record at the NA, but the news recently broke that Aliecoco has traced him in the medals documentation which indicates his likely death on 7/8/15 at Gallipoli.

All this is leading towards providing the documentation needed to persuade the CWGC to add him to the Helles Memorial to the missing.

It's a wonderful thing when, almost 90 years on, we still have people about who are motivated to remember these men and to make sure that they are appropriately remembered along with their colleagues in battle.

Congratulations, then, to John and AlieCoco for all the hard work that should, hopefully, lead to Sgt. 637 Tom Worthington of the 1/6th Manchesters having his name added where it belongs on the Helles Memorial to the Missing.

In anticipation, and using the wonders of modern photo manipulation here is a preview of how it might look in a few years time.

post-1-1071429630.jpg

John,

I did leave a deliberate error at the top of the lower part of the panel (a transposed "ON") just to make sure it was clear it was a fake and so no-one would be taken in by it.

I suspect it may a while yet before the CWGC are able to add his name. Maybe we can run a pals trip to the unveiling.

Martin

Martin

Public thanks to you and Kate for the many months of encouragement on this quest.

The great thing about this is I now have some "official" documentation supporting his demise on 7/8/15, all of which ties in with the listing in the Divisional Roll of Honour (where he is mentioned not once, but twice - as a 2ndLt and a Sgt) and with the various newspaper reports of the time (one indicating the family had received a letter form the "record office" saying he was missing and another quoting another officer saying that he wasnt "missing", he was next to him when he was killed)

Terry Denham tells me that whilst I'm well on the right track here, it still may not be enough for CWGC. Time will tell.

Pals can expect a Medal query when I receive the papers from Alie.

John

John, as Martin has suggested, it may well be a while before his name is added. I was there in April last year, and a large refurbishment programme was underway then. So Helles may not receive any further work for some time.

But I wouldn't mind another trip out there when it is done!! :D

Richard

I'm sure it will be, but fingers crossed that it won't be too long before CWGC agrees the need. I gather you have a similar issue with someone on several of your memorials?

Without wishing to preempt matters, I may also have some news to report, in a couple of weeks, about my great uncle, Ben - referred to in my signature. As they say - watch these pages.

Cor, I know it's a cliche but, since I retired, I've been so busy I don't know how I managed to fit work in.

John