The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you help?

mvsdavies

Hello, I am new to this forum and am hoping you will be able to help me.

I found my great uncle James Thomas Brown on the war memorial at Langton Long it said, Pte JT Brown 1st Dorset Regiment died of disease contracted in service. I could not find him on the CWG site even though he died Feb 1918. I found out where his grave was and that he had a militery funeral, sadly bushes and shrubbery have grown over the grave and the headstone may or may not still be there. I got in touch with the CWGC and after sending the details to the MoD they have decided to add his name to the role of honour and send an inspector to look at the grave to see what can be done. His cousin and brother in law was also commemorated on the headstone, Pte Leonard Frank Joyce 1st Dorset Yeomanry who is also commemorated on the Jerusalem Memorial.

My problem is that I have identified photos of all his brothers but not of James himself. I believe the attached photo is of him but I can't be sure and wondered if any one could identifiy the regiment from the uniform, any help would be much appreciated.

Michelle

post-1-1071494316.jpg

Yes Terry, it is All Saint's church yard. Do you know the area?

James Thomas Brown was born in Blandford and was living in Langton Long where he was a rural postman when he died after being invalided out of the army.

Michelle

Michelle

I do know the area very slightly. However, as you will discover if you frequent the Forum (it's addictive), my main interest is the work of CWGC, war graves and everything to do with them. A new addition to the lists is always of interest.

I am no expert on uniforms but he looks very 'equestrian' to me - wearing riding breeches and the horseshoe badge on the sleeve.

However, we have some real experts here who should be able to add something. Come on, chaps.

Hi Michelle.

The chevrons on the mans right sleeve were used to indicate number of years service overseas.

They were introduced on January 1st 1918 and so this picture must have been taken after then. It is not impossible, but as this man seems fit and well, it seems unlikely he would have died from service induced illness within a month or so of this picture being taken.

Your man appears to have 4, indicating at least 3 years and a day but no more than 4 years overseas service.

Cheers.

John.

Hi Michelle

The horseshoe badge on the upper right arm is a proficiency badge indicating your man qualified at some point in his military career as (most likely) a Shoeing Smith. My Grandfather, a Gunner and Shoeing Smith in the Royal Garrison Artillery, wore an identical badge.

Gary

Thank you very much John and Gary,

I now know that the photo is not James T Brown which is a bit dissapointing but with the information you have given me I shall try to find out who he is. Many thanks.

Michelle