The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Anzacs:Gallipoli to the Western Front

Crunchy

The Anzacs: Gallipoli to the Western Front by Dr Peter Pedersen has just been released, at least in Australia. It is a very handsome book and is the first one volume history of Australia and New Zealand’s participation in the Great War that combines technical narrative and operational analysis with personal accounts. Hardback, 447pp including notes and index and ISBN -13: 9780670041244. I have had the advantage of reading an advance copy.

Pedersen is a highly regarded historian, his Monash as a Military Commander is considered the benchmark on the subject, who has contributed Fromelles, Villers-Bretonneaux and Hamel to the Battlegound Europe series for Pen & Sword. He also commanded a battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment before becoming a full time historian and his military background provides him with an understanding of military operations that many historians don’t have.

This is an excellent account of the Australian and New Zealand effort during the war, albeit with a much greater emphasis on the Australians, that is tightly and beautifully written. Originally commissioned as a history of the 1st AIF by Penquin, Pedersen insisted on including the New Zealanders, whom he rates highly, and correctly states “An account … must also cover the New Zealanders, who have just as much claim to the title ‘Anzac’ as the Australians. Both called themselves ‘Diggers’.”

Dr Pedersen was constrained to some 400 pages by his publishers but I think this makes it a better book that provides a good, comprehensive overview of the Australian and New Zealand experience in the Great War. He combines a quickly moving narrative and technical grasp of events with personal accounts from diaries, letters and official records and analysis of commanders, performances of the troops and the battles themselves. Lavishly illustrated with photographs, drawings and colour paintings, each has a small description that expands on the event or person depicted. He has the knack of letting the men themselves tell it as it was, while providing an astute narrative and analysis that kept me turning the pages.

While Pedersen is impressed with the Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians, he doesn’t shy away from the unpalatable and devotes a chapter to the Australian’s disciplinary record and attitudes, together with a graphic display of the disfiguring wounds many soldiers of the Great War suffered. He gives praise where it is due, is even handed in his assessment of commanders and portrays defeat candidly. In his concluding chapter ‘Reflections’ Pedersen’s assessment is that, while they were brave and had priceless initiative, “Inadequately trained, the Gallipoli men were essentially enthusiastic amateurs.” It was not until “… Messines onward, [that] thorough training combined with experience and natural ability [made] the Australian soldier a master of his trade.”

For those who are interested in the Australian and New Zealand experience in the Great War this book is highly recommended. It is a very worthy successor to Bean’s one volume account Anzac to Amiens .

The cover is attached in the next post and succeeding posts provide a taste of the book itself, with permission to post them granted by the author.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Thank you for the review. I noticed on Saturday that Target stores are selling it for just under $40, ie about $20 under the standard bookstore price.

Thanks to your review, I'll pick up a copy tomorrow.

Regards

Gareth

Crunchy,

It all looks good, may I be so forward to ask , just how much of the content of the book describes the New Zealand actions?? . Percentage wise very roughly ??. Only reason I ask is that I am considering purchasing it and with all due respect I am more interested in getting my hands on material relating to the New Zealanders rather than the Australians. No reflection on the merits of either force, just my personal interest is with the New Zealanders. I fully respect the spirit of ANZAC and as you know we have relatives who served ( and died) in both forces.

Cheers Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

The book follows the chronologly of the Australian's participation, which was the brief given to Pedersen, and so is largely from the Australian perspective. Because of the title, he insisted on incorporating the New Zealand experience where it occurred in these battles. Hard to put a percentage on the New Zealand content as it is interwoven in the battles under discussion, largely I would say as an adjunct to the Australian experience. The second example page above is of the Australians' and New Zealanders' disasterous action on 12 Oct 1917, so that will give you a feel for it. After 1917, the book is concerned with the Australian Coprs. There are many more quotes from Australian paticipants than New Zealanders so it is probably not what you are looking for.

It is well worth reading though.

Regards

Chris

Doesn't appear to be available in UK (though Amazon had his book on Monash for £180 :o ).

Doesn't appear to be available in UK ).

Steven,

I have been advised that Penquin (Aust) are sending 1000 copies to the UK and it should be available there later in the year.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, looks like I am going to have to write the New Zealand perspective myself........ Time to quit work and do my reserach full time I think.... I wonder what the wife will say..mmmm

I will get a copy, thanks for sharing it with us.

Aaron.

Have you seen it available in NZ, Aaron? I've not found a copy, yet. But they don't exactly have brilliant bookshops out my way! Whitcoulls don't have it online, and neither do fishpond.

Allie

Steven,

I have been advised that Penquin (Aust) are sending 1000 copies to the UK and it should be available there later in the year.

Regards

Chris

Chris - can you make sure Mrs B doesn't find out?

It'll be a nice surprise Christmas present for her ;)

Hi Aaron,

The book follows the chronologly of the Australian's participation, which was the brief given to Pedersen, and so is largely from the Australian perspective. Because of the title, he insisted on incorporating the New Zealand experience where it occurred in these battles. Hard to put a percentage on the New Zealand content as it is interwoven in the battles under discussion, largely I would say as an adjunct to the Australian experience. The second example page above is of the Australians' and New Zealanders' disasterous action on 12 Oct 1917, so that will give you a feel for it. After 1917, the book is concerned with the Australian Coprs. There are many more quotes from Australian paticipants than New Zealanders so it is probably not what you are looking for.

It is well worth reading though.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Do you have any relationship wth Peter? You seem to push is new book (which seems good) so well?

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

No relationship other than I know him.

I respect him as an historian and I particularly like his books. They are all very well researched, fair and balanced in their arguments. He doesn't make claims that cannot be substantiated and he is prepared to criticise Australian performances where they deserve to be.

If I didn't like his book I wouldn't post anything. My reputation is on the line as well.

IMO he is our best military historian, unfortunately we don't see enough of his work.

Regards

Chris

I'll put it on the wish list as at the moment I'm trying to put money away to walk on the Western Front.

It sounds excellent and would be a good Chrissie present, but I don't think I'm getting any of those for a few years, I've used up my ten year quota.

Cheers

Kim

Hi Chris,

No relationship other than I know him.

I respect him as an historian and I particularly like his books. They are all very well researched, fair and balanced in their arguments. He doesn't make claims that cannot be substantiated and he is prepared to criticise Australian performances where they deserve to be.

If I didn't like his book I wouldn't post anything. My reputation is on the line as well.

IMO he is our best military historian, unfortunately we don't see enough of his work.

Regards

Chris

Me thinks Dymocks is a bit confused?

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDetails/P...R=9780732286002

Wrong book right photo? Good price!

Chris

How lucky am I? Jeff sent me Return to Gallipoli, and Frev, who is visiting this weekend, has gifted me with The Anzacs, Gallipoli to the Western Front.

:rolleyes:

Kim

How lucky am I? Jeff sent me Return to Gallipoli, and Frev, who is visiting this weekend, has gifted me with The Anzacs, Gallipoli to the Western Front.

:rolleyes:

Kim

Well done, I tried Dymocks at Hunter St Sydney but no luck. No way I can get it so it seems.

Chris.

Well done, I tried Dymocks at Hunter St Sydney but no luck. No way I can get it so it seems.

Chris.

Chris

For some reason, Dymocks appear to be slow to receive new titles. My local branch still doesn't have David Cameron's 25 April 1915, although its competitor has had it in stock for about a week.

I don't want to advertise for them, but I did see that the local Target store had a dozen or so copies of The Anzacs, and all at more than $20 below the recommended retail price.

Cheers

Gareth

• 1 month later...

I have started to read this book and it is excellent. It is informative with out lecturing, the setout of photos and text, very easy to read, and I have my maps beside me, following the Anzacs, with Mr Pedersons words making everything clearer.

Great book for anyone wanting the Anzacs history in one volumne.

Cheers

Kim

I have started to read this book and it is excellent. It is informative with out lecturing, the setout of photos and text, very easy to read, and I have my maps beside me, following the Anzacs, with Mr Pedersons words making everything clearer.

Great book for anyone wanting the Anzacs history in one volumne.

Cheers

Kim

Yeah...i am really into this book. Pedersen has done a top job.

Readers of Bean will probably not find a whole lot new here (the chapter on crime and punishment, and a few other parts excepted) but it is very readable and does a great job at telling the story of the 1 AIF in 400 or so pages. He includes the AFC and the artillery too, which Les Carlyon neglected to do in 800 pages.

Having some maps handy while you read (Bean's for example) is pretty necessary though. Pedersen would have been wise to include more maps (but then again, this could have been a call by the publisher).

Very highly recommended indeed.