The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

South African Scottish

Guest Lynne Rapson

Guest Lynne Rapson

Finding it hard to get info re South African Scottish in which my late husband's father served as a sniper I believe. Tried Delville Wood museum but they could not help - does anyone have any clues where I can try next?

• 3 weeks later...

Lynne

What sort of information were you after? I have a number of sources that mention the South African Scottish.

There is quite a bit about the actions of the SA Brigade in the History of the Ninth (Scottish) Division by John Ewing published in reprint by Naval and Military Press.

Aye

Malcolm

The South African Scottish regiment were the 4th battalion raised for the South African Brigade. They were recruited from 'the Scottish regiments existing in the Union, the 1st and 2nd Transvaal Scottish and the Cape Town Highlanders, and from members of the various Caledonian societies'. The regiment decended from the 77th (Atholl) Highlanders, through the Scottish Horse and the Transvaal Scottish regiments. Of the original 1,282 ranks, 377 were Scots, 258 English, 30 Irish and 595 were native-born South Africans, many of Scots descent.

The age composition was: <21 (292), 22-25 (350), 26-30 (232), 31-35 (212), 36-40 (196). A small proportion had received prior military training (344); the remainder were largely in business (712), mining (234) and government service (145).

The first CO was Lt-Col FA Jones, DSO, from Johannesburg.

The 4th Regiment had arrived in England by November 1915, where it was reviewed by the Duke of Atholl.

On July 5th 1916, the South African Scottish and the 1st South Africans were holding the line on the extreme right of the Somme, from the French forces to Briqueterie Trench, east of Montauban. They were involved in holding the gains of July 1 and then in the early attacks on Trone Wood. They were relieved on the 13th July.

Their next involvement was in the magnificent defence of Delville Wood. I can provide more details of this if you wish. I believe this is when the South Africans first appreciated the effect of German snipers and their own snipers played a valuable part in the defence.

The 4th Regiment took part in the October 12 attack on the Butte of Warlencourt, which was at the limit of the Somme advance. In April, they participated in the Arras offensive, along the northern side of the River Scarpe. Along with 9th Division, they were in the attack of 20th September against the Langemarck Gheluvelt Line in the Third Battle of Ypres. They played a wonderful hand in delaying the German advances in Operation Michael and the subsequent Battle of Lys.

During the last 100 days, the 4th Regiment helped in the attack on Le Cateau.

These are some tasters from the material I have. Let me know if there are specific actions you want to know more about.

Hi,

A photo I have in my collection portrays a member of the Transvaal Scottish. He wears what appears to be boots (with putees and tabs) and a kilt, with a khaki doublet with a standing collar and a pith helmet. The obigatory sporran also accompanies. Whilst the doublet apears to be of a light tropical pattern the kilt seems to be the real thing - a bit hot no doubt in SA.

Presumeably SA Scottish would be similarly equipped when in SA?

Rgds,

Alex.

One of the photographs that I have is of a soldier in the 4th (South African Scottish) Regiment. He has hold of Nancy, the regimental mascot, which was a Springbok. The soldier is wearing a dark kilt. I cannot make out a sporran. He has a Glengarry.

There is a lot of information regarding all the SA units in France in 'Pyramids and Poppies' Digby P, as well as the reprint of Buchan's South African forces in France. Both are currently available at reasonable prices.

Adam

• 1 month later...
Guest Lynne Rapson

Thanks to all you helpful people for your info - my late husband's father was in this brigade - he was a sniper I believe, and the tale I have is that he joined up in England where he was visiting when WW1 started. I used to have his Glengarry but gave it to his baby great grandson for a baptism present. Also have photos of him being carried on a stretcher into hospital in UK where he met a nurse whom he later married! I've visited SA museum/memorial in Delville Wood and have seen the photo of the soldier with the mascot. Still hoping to find out more, but thanks for your assistance (particularly Robert Dunlop for details of regiment - thanks)

Lynne

Do you have your father-in-law's name? I have a roll of honour list for the South Africans involved in Delville Wood.

I will try and find the details on snipers in that engagement.

Robert