The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

GRAY FAMILY

JEG

I wonder if anybody could please help me with my researches concerning the Gray family of Worthing. Hubert Patrick Gray was the head of a well-known family of growers in the town during the early decades of the last century. And all three of his sons served in the Great War:

Captain Hubert James Stirling Gray 4th Royal Sussex Regiment

Wounded missing (dead) 27.3.17

Lance Corporal Leslie Patrick Harrison Gray (educated at Lancing College)

2nd Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Wounded February 1915 invalided out of Service

2nd Lieutenant George Becket McKenzie Gray (educated at Lancing College)

4th Battalion Cheshire Regiment

Resigned commission – ill health March 1918

I wonder if anybody has come across the three brothers? Their service files do exist at the PRO but Captain Hubert Gray’s file does not mention where he was educated. I am hoping against hope that someone may recognise his name from a school or university memorial. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Regards Janet

Hello Janet,

Capt Hubert (Herbert on the 1901 census) Gray was the eldest of the three brothers. I have checked the rolls of honour for Lancing College and Brighton College and he appears on neither.

As he was at home on census night 1901 it would point to him having being educated locally. The only one I can think of off hand is Shoreham Grammer School (now known as Shoreham College) they may well have a roll of Honour.

Hope I am making sense and that it helps a bit.

Ali

Ali and Paul,

Thank you so much for your interest and suggestions.

Steyning Grammar School is a good suggestion, and I will be on to Sue to seek her help. Yet, somehow from the family's social standing, I feel Hubert would have attended a larger public school.

Again, many thanks,

Regards Janet