The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Riding the Retreat

Steven Broomfield

In case anyone is interested and din't know, Richard Holmes' book is available in paperback. I saw it this afternoon in Borders in Southampton.

£8.99 (I think), published by Pimlico.

Well, it's still available, and this has a 'new' Introduction to the 2007 edition!

One of the best books in our area ever ............ mixing academic accuracy with a rollicking story of [from memory] five men and several horses .......... quite fascinating.

Unfortunately, my Met. Police Riding Instructor daughter seems to have it on permanent loan!

Agreed.

A really good read and highly recommended. Blends a ride undertaken by the author in the 1990's through the countryside covered in the retreat from Mons with a potted history of the actions that took place in 1914.

Get a copy, you won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately, my Met. Police Riding Instructor daughter seems to have it on permanent loan!

Buy yourself a copy for her next birthday ;)

I concur with the above "get a copy you won't be disappointed"

A really good read ( and I've just re read it and found it even better than I recalled) part history lesson part travelogue....

Wife got it half price when she bought some other book last week.

Really looking forward to reading it.................eventually!

Sharpening their knives and getting the frying pan on were they?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just read this book I can highly recommend it - an excellent read with historical details broken up with amusing details of their journey (which seems to involve lots of stopping in French villages for glasses of wine!).

Buy it now.

Mark

Thanks to this thread I am now halfway through it. A highly enjoyable read with some interesting asides. I had no idea that horse fodder outweighed shells!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought it for £4... bargain schmargain.

I'll let you know what I think when I've read it.

Just bought it for £4... bargain schmargain.

I'll let you know what I think when I've read it.

I know what you will think before you do... terrific.

• 3 months later...

I seem to be alone in not being overly impressed with the book, which I've just finished.

I'm normally reticient about being critical of things (like book-writing) for which I have no talent, so perhaps I'll limit myself to a suggestion that Holmes' ability to tell a tale has improved over the years since 1995.

Was there a TV programme of the book? Or one intended? The actual riding bit seemed to suggest that this was the slant - camera worthy shots of Holmes on horseback waving his arm towards fields of stubble. That sort of thing.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi,

just finished rereading this. An excellent book. A man after my own heart. An adventurous day out and a good drink at night, good companionship and a lot of information about the make up of battalions and their trials and tribulations over the first few weeks of the war. Highly recommended.

Len

• 4 months later...

I read this whilst on holiday and found it a great read. Very dry humour and also very informative. I really enjoyed it.