The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need info 13th Battn CEF

182 CEF

Can anyone help me on this. I need info on Sgt (later Col.?) Albert. T. Howard 13th Battn CEF.

I have been in contact with a great Lady ( His Grandaughter) Who is donating a " German rangefinder" that is inscribed " Taken by the 13th Battn CEF and Loand to the 5Th Battn CEF Please return"

This item will be displayed several times during the year in my town. Any info that I can get will be forwarded to her.

As with most Families, the Family History has been broken up, items going to differant Children ect. I want to find out as much as possible on "Howard" to keep the History alive.

Thank you

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario Canada

An obvious start would be his service record and war diaries for the 13th Battalion from the Can. NA. In addition once you establish where Sgt. Howard hails from, you can begin a search of his home town newspapers. The 13th (Montreal) Battalion Royal Highlanders, was raised in Montreal Quebec Canada, and served with the 1st Canadian Division. There is one English speaking newspaper, I am aware of from Montreal available at the York University Archives in Toronto; It should make mention of the 13th and its members?

Also, try this book,

Canada's Black Watch, The first hundred years

By: Paul Hutchison

It has an honor roll for all members decorated and casualties.

Another Pal may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I do remember the 13th Bn. as having a regimental history? (I may be mixing it up with the 42nd RHC).

Good luck

Please remember that in canada we broke up "raised" Battns to reenforce "combat" Battns

So in Canada it does not matter where you came from or enlisted, you went to the "combat" Battn that you where sent to.

From Vimy on, we over strengthed our Battns by 10% to make up for losses before they happened.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Please remember that in canada we broke up "raised" Battns to reenforce "combat" Battns

So in Canada it does not matter where you came from or enlisted, you went to the "combat" Battn that you where sent to.

From Vimy on, we over strengthed our Battns by 10% to make up for losses before they happened.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Yes of course.... I never overlooked that? I think you may have misunderstood my point,

My method of research is always to start with the 'home town' newspaper for the soldier I am searching, and then I will move to the battalion's home base city.

For example, while researching a soldier of the 26th (New Brunswick) Battalion, I started with Toronto city newspapers, where this particular soldier hailed from. As expected, Toronto made much mention of this man, as this is the city he was born, and his family lived. However as celebrated as he was in Toronto, I chose not to look at any New Brunswick papers, as he was simply 'dropped' into the 26th, and New Brunswick I'm certain never knew he existed.

However there are exceptions. For example, while researching an Officer of the 21st (Eastern Ontario) Battalion, my subject was regularly mentioned by the Kingston Ontario press...even though this officer had never set foot in this city! (21st was raised and recruited in Kingston Ont.) They were obviously very keen to make mention of certain 21st men.

Those born in England, are much harder to find in local Canadian newspapers. (There are of course many exceptions) Having no NoK in Canada, I think prevented the local press coverage. However they would likely be reported in their own UK home town papers.

When I research a subject, I leave no stone unturned, you never know what may turn up?

David,

I have R.C.Fetherstonhaugh's "The 13th Battalion Royal Highlanders of Canada 1914-1919". A quick look did not spot Howard's name in the casualty or honours sections. This regimental history doesn't have an index so there is no way short of going through the entire book (344 pages) on the off chance that his name appears.

In my experience that isn't always true. Battalions belonged to Military Districts, which tended to have geographical boundaries, and men tended not to shift out of their MD unless under exceptional circumstances - a study of CEF numbers clearly shows this. It may well have changed once conscription came in in full force, and the very high CEF number system was in use.

Sorry, I should have added this to my last post. In 1925 the 13th published their own history, 'The 13th Battalion Royal Highlanders of Canada, 1914-1919.' It has a dedication section listing the battalions dead.

Garth

In my experience that isn't always true. Battalions belonged to Military Districts, which tended to have geographical boundaries, and men tended not to shift out of their MD unless under exceptional circumstances - a study of CEF numbers clearly shows this.

Actually, you are both correct! The theory (and often the fact) was that men from one part of the country ended up in front line units associated with that region. For example, men from Alberta (M.D. 13) would, on reaching England, be posted to the 9th or 21st Reserve Battalions, and in the case of infantry, would end up in one of the Alberta battalions at the front, these being the 10th, 31st, 49th, and 50th.

However, the practice was often far different. For example, I have looked at the 151st (Central Alberta) Battalion. Of its members who were eventually killed, about 100 died while serving with Manitoba battalions, as opposed to about 70 with Alberta battalions. A number of others were serving with British Columbian or Ontario units. Presumably the 151st arrived in England just as the Manitoba units at the front were desperate for reinforcements.

Hopefully we will eventually have a proper statistical analysis of these things.

Thank you for all your replies.

I was told by Albert Turner Howard's Grandaughter that he was a Sgt till close to the end of the war, She claims that he became a Col. by the end of the war.

I thought that this would be odd, perhaps she has 2 diiferant relatives mixed up.

I will picking up the German Trench Range Finder that was captured by the 13 CEF later this week.

She took this item to the British Antiques Roadshow when they came to Canada, she was told they could not give a value on it as they had never seen a complete one. I have not seen it yet however she said that it is in 3 parts and she can't figure out how to put it all together, one part is in a leather bag.

I will have more info on it when I see it.

Thanks again

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario Canada

Well I have this thing set up in my living room and thats OK with the Girlfriend!!

I ave found out that A. T. Howard ended the War as a Capt. He joined in Sept 1914 as a Pvt!!

I also got some items that were his Sons, who servered with the Canadian Para Battn in WW2 and then He served in Korea where he was Captured. I have the Battledress he was given to return home with. It is dated 1953 nad has his Canadian Para wings and ribbons on it. I hope to get more od this families items so I can keep it together and display it on Nov 11 and at other local events.

I gotta research to do.

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario