The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

W.R.BIRD

BIFFO

I am presently reading the above book,if anyone wants to read an old sweats war this is for you.

it is both very funny and harrowing,funny as in the description of a boxing match he entered,his account of a incoming barrage(page 59-65)being the most graphic and horrifying that I personally have read.

I bought my copy from a fellow GWF member. because of the no advertising rule sadly I am unable to mention TOM MORGANS name.err sorry bout daht

biff

Re: Ghosts Have Warm Hands by Will Bird.

This is hands down the best WWI memoir I have ever read. It is filled with rich detail, funny in places and yet no-holds-barred in describing the horrors. I think Will Bird is just a great natural story teller. He shows you how resourceful they were too in scrounging food at times and finding shelter. I also like the supernatural element. As you read this story and get to know Bird and the way he experienced this war, you know he is not making it up. I'm actually reading the book this minute for the second time. Highly recommend it.

Bonfire/Susan

a fantastic read, one of my favourites. Like Paul said, get his 13 years after as well.

• 5 months later...

I agree with all the positive comments above. It is truly a wonderful book. One of the best personal accounts that I have ever read. I liked it so much that I accidentally bought it twice!!

Al,

I have 13 Yrs After but not Ghosts....

If you inadvertantly have two copies Im prepared to liberate you of one. PM me if you have one to sell.

If not disregard this post

Regards

TT

TT, PM sent.

Some of Will Bird's stories figured predominately in CBC's "The Great War". His decendent, Stephen Murray took part in the filming as one of the volunteers. I will have to put this book on my Christmas list

Trenchtrotter, I "think" that I have sent you 2 messages but, everytime I go to look at my own messages, I see zippo. (Obviously, these are the meanderings of a rank newbie; perhaps by the time I make Sergeant I will have this sorted out). My plan is to let you have my spare copy for a very wonderful price. Please PM me with your address. Thanks, Al (Brighton, Ontario).