The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MPP of the RGA

kevinrowlinson

Thought I would bring this to the top again as there appears to be a number of RGA experts about at the moment.

Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin, Sorry nobody seems toknow (Odd here, isn;t it?). As a retired artilleryman, the name brings to mind a group that checks quality of armaments, either at production end or later. JUST A GUESS! :huh:

Mike Morrison

Thanks Mike for your imput. It does give the impression that they were testing for something.

I would like to think that it was a company of gunners detailed to travel from battery to battery testing, by tasting, the strength of the rum.

Kevin

Kevin, while that might be how the party ended up, I doubt that that was their primary mission! It's getting out of my realm, but the metal in all armaments display stamped "proof" marks, so I would assume (absent other input) that that is what they did. There's a lot of metal in artillery pieces and its proper function is dependent on its integrity. The reason for "maximum rates of fire" is to avoid overheating the metal of the cannons. Again - just a guess.

Mike Morrison

Mike your explaination is the most logical. I have had another look at the records for the gunner where I saw the MPP and it would appear he was posted there after returning from France, GSW and gased, in 1918. Probably the most obvious place- Woolwich.

post-14294-1178382826.jpg

Kevin