The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lance Corporal AJ Metcalfe 18 Bt. Durham Light Inf

stevehowarth

Hi

Lance Corporal Alexander Metcalfe was an elementary school teacher in Durham - it would be marvellous if anybody could tell me which one!

What I'm really looking for is the Company he belonged to. He survived 1st July 1916, so I assume he was not in 'D Company' (more or less wiped out).

He was killed in a German raid on 27 July 1916 at Neuve Chapelle. I have the WD Lowe War History of the 18th Bt. Can anybody recommend another source where I might find out about this raid on 27 July?

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Your best bet although still a long one is to look at the 18th Bn War Diary at Kew ref WO 95/2361. 'The Durham Forces in the Field' mentions the events of the 27th Jly but I expect you have more detail in the Bn history. Have you tried for his service papers also at the NA at Kew? 'Soldiers Died ...' gives Alexander John Metcalfe born Carlton, Skipton, Yorks, KIA on the 28th July 1916. Durham Record Office may have something on schools over the relevant period.

Regards

Tony

Tony

Thanks for the reply re 18 BT. DLI. I'll certainly follow these lines up.

The German raid/minor operation on the 27 July 1916 should have, in theory, generated some eye-witness accounts and coverage in newspapers. The local Durham newspaper might be a starting point. Does anyone know the Durham newspapers from the period? Was there extensive coverage of battles? How sustantial were the obituaries?

Has anybody come across it in a Divisional history etc?

Happy Christmas to all.

Steve

If the school is still in existence they probably still have the school log, my old school jotted all things down during the war, such as the kids going collecting berries, tater picking etc.,