The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Aussies at Blackboy camp WA, Pre war ,post War ?

montbrehain

After trying to get on the Australian service Records site for nearly an hour I have finally given up. I wanted to try and identify some of the men in this photograph. I am not sure if its before or after the war ? I think it may be before. I would be grateful for any help :ph34r: (I seem to ask that a lot ). In return (I know I have said it before) If you ever require a copy of any pic I may post, just ask and ill do my best to get a High Res copy to you. I believe most photos (and I have hundreds) I posses are "1 off's" and therefore I like to make as many copies as I can in the hope that somewhere 1 will survive. Anyhow can you help with this Pic :D "MO"

post-13272-1178099746.jpgpost-13272-1178099691.jpg

Dear Montbrehain

I'm no expert but my guess would be early in the war - looks like AIF badges and uniform though the cap is more typical of militia (but I have seen photos from 1914 of men enlisted in the AIF wearing these - Uniform shortage?). Have you tried accessing the service records via the Australian Archives website? The Australian War Memorial website also has (amongst other things) a nominal roll for WW1 that includes full name, unit and date of enlistment, so you may be able to identify the chaps via that. Good luck!

through the nominal roll , I found a Lieut Arthur Bird Brook 11th Batt AIF. He,s a possibility. No Albricht or Albicht. There is a David William Thomas. 241 11th Batt AIF. I am begining to think that this is a a pre war 11th Battalion Photo

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/pag...urname=pleydell

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/pag...urname=albright

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/pag...Surname=clifton

Don't know if these are your men, but that is what a search of the initials and surnames pulled up on the Nominal Roll.

Here is same in embarkation.

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm8/23_112_4/pdf/0066.pdf

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/awm8/23_28_1/pdf/0170.pdf

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/emb...on.asp?p=177809

Sandra and Andrew may have more on these guys, but Sandra has a family crisis at the moment and may be away for a while.

Please give send some positive thoughts Sandra's way, she needs them.

Kim

Mo, a quicker way to find out basic info about a soldier is to go to the 'Research a person' page on the AWM website.

http://www.awm.gov.au/find/index.asp

It doesn't give as much information as the service records but is a good, quick way to get a basic lead on someone - it lists the embarkation rolls, for example.

Chris Henschke

Mo, different spelling on Albright, all right state anyway and initials. Keep you busy for awhile.

Cheers

Kim

Thanks for your help Kim, that looks like the ones. 11th Battalion . And my best wishes and thoughts for Sandra. "MO"

Ok Chris , Will give it a go. They all seem to be early enlistments , so perhaps ready to go ?

I paid a visit to the site of Blackboy Camp while in Perth and found a housing estate with a plaque in the middle. Do any locals know where the men would have done field training, trench digging etc? Phil B

Hi Mo

The name is ALBRECHT - Frederick Albrecht embarked on the A11 Ascanius from Fremantle 2/11/14 with the 11th Bn - along with Arthur Bird Brook & Arthur Deacon Pleydell. On board was also Joseph William Bunning (though the initials on card clearly show J.A. Bunning??)

That's all I've found so far.

Cheers, Frev

Now Im thinking that these names are written on the back of each of the soldiers, and if so We can actually post a photo of each soldier with his name pretty reliably ? "MO" I have mirror reversed the pic, so the name Above should match the man in the same position below.

post-13272-1178107585.jpg

post-13272-1178108500.jpg

The name is ALBRECHT - Frederick Albrecht embarked on the A11 Ascanius from Fremantle 2/11/14 with the 11th Bn - along with Arthur Bird Brook & Arthur Deacon Pleydell. On board was also Joseph William Bunning (though the initials on card clearly show J.A. Bunning??)

David William THOMAS (241) & Alvared Roe Cecil CLIFTON (155) - were also on the Ascanius with the above 3 soldiers.

Lovely photo. sorry cannot be of assistance, wish I could.

(the chap in the front - second from left looking at photo - looks like a young james stewart)

What or whom is IT (instructor/trainer??) ....

MO. I think you are right - that each of the names seem to match the formation of the chaps in the photo. Clever you.

What a wonderful idea to post these photos for prosperity.

Superb, unselfish stuff which is thankfully typical of all people of this forum.

Salute you Sir.

Susan.

The Cpl noted as Sgt is (I believe) Lieut Arthur Bird Brook 11th Battalion ? "MO"

Me again!

Edward Donald LINDSEY (not Lindsay) (203) also sailed with the rest.

That gives you Thomas, Albrecht, Brook, Clifton, Pleydell & Lindsey all in the 11th Bn, all sailing together 2/11/14 - possibly with JW Bunning (as opposed to JA Bunning). No JA Gollan on board.

Cheers, Frev

PS - got your PM Mo.

First World War Embarkation Roll

Edward Donald Lindsey

View the digitisted record:

View record (0.14Mb PDF file) Number 203

Rank Private

Unit 11 Infantry Battalion (November 1914)

Ship Name HMAT Ascanius

Ship number A11

Date of embarkation 2 November 1914

Place of embarkation Fremantle

Woops edit. edit. see frev got there first. sorry.

Susan.

I reckon that is J W Bunning ? Perhaps the details were written on the pic a while later (hence the Cpl being Sgt) and the writer made a mistake ? Also have been trying to decipher that last name . Could it be Yollan , Follan or Tollan. "MO"

This is definately my last post for tonight.................

Still looks like Gollan to me Mo.

John Alexander GOLLAN originally joined the 11th Bn 9/9/14 (183) - haven't yet found the reason he dropped out - but re-enlisted in the 10th LH in Oct 1914 - so didn't sail with the others.

Would therefore think the photo was taken b/w 9/9/14 & the sailing of the Ascanius on 2/11/14.

But who was I T ??

Looking at the I.T again - it looks more like an arrow pointing both ways just before the letter T

Did they have Trainers....... or what could T stand for.... I notice he is standing bang in the middle of the group - does this arrow mean it relates to each four man group either side of him.....

Kim and all other Aussie Pals - I must say the records that can be accessed on line is absolutely fantastic. I only wish ours were as organised and available as this (perhaps they would have been save for the Sept 1940 bombings).

Anyway, superb research site. Thoroughly enjoyed looking and have bookmarked

Susan.

Got to agree Susan , I have just spent an hour totally engrossed in the records of these men. To see which way the fortunes of war took them(bravery ,tragedy , love and everything in between) is as good and better than many novels. And of course these was real people and their lives. The Australian Archives are a credit to the Country from which they come. I,m sure many others could learn from their example "MO"

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 2 2007, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I paid a visit to the site of Blackboy Camp while in Perth and found a housing estate with a plaque in the middle. Do any locals know where the men would have done field training, trench digging etc? Phil B

Hi Phil,

Blackboy Hill is just down the road from us. It is in the grounds of a local primary school, well cared for and appreciated. There is a large pine tree, connected to Lone Pine Gallipoli, and quite a focal point now for its Anzac day dawn service. I am sure someone could tell you exactly where they did field training etc, but it is quite easy to imagine them all over the hill.

Cheers

Shirley

post-20012-1178116209.jpg

Thanks Montbrehain for the photo and subsequent sleuthing, I particularly enjoy this aspect of the pal's work on the forum

Kim, please convey my thoughts to Sandra, she has been so kind and welcoming

Cheers

Shirley

Thanks Shirley,

That looks a lovely place to go to remember. All quite and serene. Beautiful.

Kim: please pass on my hopes for Sandra and her recovery.

susan.