The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain H.M. Butterworth

Hambo

I now have a heck of a lot of information on Butterworth thanks to Richard Bourne who kindly copied a large number of documents and photos which he passed on a couple of months ago

I can post a basic biography tonight (at home at the moment)

Regards John

PS Andy I've been trying to get you to pass on copies of what Richard sent me drop me line if you get the chance

Hi Hambo,

PM sent.

Andy

This is his bio that I have gathered together so far. I have a lot more on him still to digest just arrived from NZ

Hugh Montagu Butterworth Captain (Temporary)

D Company 9th (Service) Battalion Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort’s Own)

Killed in action on the 25th of September 1915 aged 29

He was born on the 1st of November 1885 the son of George Montagu Butterworth and Mrs Catherine Lucie Butterworth (nee Warde) of The Cashmeer Hills, Christchurch New Zealand and formerly of Westward Ho! in Devon and later of Swindon

He left Hazelwood School, in the summer of 1899 for Marlborough College where he was educated from September 1899 to 1904. While he was there he was Captain of the Cadet Corps and in the cricket, hockey, rugby and football XI in 1903/04 as well as being a racquets representative. He was also a good but “unlucky” athlete being badly injured in his first house match and having to undergo an operation. In 1904 he went on to University College, Oxford, where he represented the University at football, cricket and hockey, also winning the Freshman’s 100 yards, but a bad knee meant that he only achieved a “blue” in racquets. His racquets doubles partners were Mr Clarence Bruce in 1905 and Mr Godfrey Foster in 1906

He also played county cricket for Wiltshire making 108 versus MCC and 122 versus Devon

From 1907 he was employed as an Assistant Master at Wanganui Collegiate School New Zealand

On the outbreak of war he returned to the UK and was commissioned into the 9th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade.

He was killed in action in an attack on an enemy trench system

His Colonel wrote: - “He showed coolness throughout, the most conspicuous coolness and courage, and can never be replaced as an officer; his name had been long sent in for Captain’s rank.”

He wrote the following in his last letter, posted the night before the attack

“I am leaving this in the hands of the transport officer, and if I get knocked out, he will send it on to you.

We are going into a big thing.

It will be my pleasant duty to leap lightly over the parapet and lead "D" Company over the delectable confusion of old trenches, crump holes, barbed wire that lies between us and the Bosche and take a portion of his front line. Quo facto, I shall then proceed to bomb down various communication trenches and take his second line.

In the very unlikely event of my being alive by then I shall dig in like the blazes and if God is good, stop the Bosche counter-attack, which will come in an hour or two. If we stop that, I shall then, in broad daylight, have to get out, wire in front under machine gun fire and probably stop at least one more counter attack and a bomb attack from the flank. If all that happens successfully and I'm still alive, I shall hang on until relief.

Well, when one is faced with a programme like that, one touches up one's will, thank heaven one has led a fairly amusing life, thanks God one is not married, and trusts in Providence. Unless we get more officers before the show, I am practically bound to be outed as I shall have to lead all these things myself. Anyway if I do go out I shall do so amidst such a scene of blood and iron as even this war has rarely witnessed. We are going to bombard for a week, explode a mine and then charge. One does see life doesn't one? Of course there is always a chance of only being wounded and the off-chance of pulling through. Of course one has been facing death pretty intimately for months now, but with this ahead, one must realise that, in the vernacular of New Zealand, one's numbers are probably up. We are not a sentimental crowd at the Collegiate School, Wanganui, but I think in a letter of this sort, one can say how frightfully attached one is to the old brigade. Also I am very, very much attached to the School and to Selwyn in particular.

There are two thousand things I should like to say about what I feel, but they can't be put down, I find. Live long and prosper, all of you. Curiously enough, I don't doubt my power to stick it out, and I think my men will follow me.

His letters from the front were published as a book by Wanganui School as “Letters from Flanders”, published in 1916 by Whitcombe and Tombs Ltd of Wellington New Zealand

His body was never recovered and he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing Panel 46-48 and 50

Hope you find it of use/interest. I think his last letter is one of the most moving of the many I've read. Richard Bourne tells me that "Selwyn" referred to in his letter is a house at the school

Regards John

Andy,

than you for the references you gave me, they have certainly led me to some great possible sources. i was wandering if the information about a particular mission above was the 9th brigade? if you have any info on a task that Butterworth would have been involved in that would be greatly appreciated. any form of diary of battle plan would really be of help!

thank you so much for your help, if anyone else has any info that would be of help i would really appreciate

Caza

p.s Hambo, that biography was very helpful thanks. I am hoping to ask Mr Bourne myself about that letter tommorrow as he is opening up the museum for my project research.

p.p.s i am having trouble with finding further war information on my second soldier, Harold Burn Hindle. if any one has any battle type plans for him that would really save me atm! i believe he was based in Somme??

Caza

You may or may not know that he was Temporary Lieutenant Harold Burn Hindle Royal Field Artillery attached to G Battery of the Royal Horse Artillery. Killed in action on the 27th of March 1918 and commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial Panels 7 to 10.

Pozieres is on the Somme so that much seems correct. The period around the 27th was when the Germans launched their last throw of the dice and attacked on a wide front on the morning of the 21st of March. It was known as Operation Michael and pushed the allies back many miles before it was stopped and the Germans ran out of steam in April. The artillery were in many cases overrun having to spike their guns and join the retreat but many were killed defending their positions to the last

I would try another post under units and formations and see if anyone has any information around the RHA and G Battery in particular during the German spring offensive

Please give my regards to Richard

John

John, Caza,

Hugh is mentioned in the Biography of Blues with the partners John has mentioned. In 1905 with his partner the Hon. C. N. Bruce they lost to the Cambridge pair E.W. Bury and R.P. Keigwin 4 - 2.

In 1906, with his partner G.N. Foster they lost to the Cambridge pair St. J.F. Wolton and W.G.W. Pound 4 - 3.

Andy

I have just read the moving letters that you put up on the forum Hambo and would like to add my thanks for this and the up dated on the Bio of Butterworth. The letters show a spirit often referred to in men in the First World War.I find it difficult to relate this to my own twenty one and eighteen year old sons but then think of when they play sport and have a glimmer of that same spirit on show. Many of these young men seem to have been able to carry that "sporting" spirit into the trenches which seems amazing now.

• 4 years later...

My first cousin twice removed, Capt John R Purvis commanded B company of 9th RB in the same attack on Bellewaerde Ridge and was also killed, MIA on the 25th September. I am very keen to have copies of the war diaries for those days to find out more about the context and detail of how he died. Reading the extract of Capt Butterworth's letters one realises my cousin didn't really have a chance either. Only 21 years of age - incredible what they were expected to do. Be grateful to hear from anyone with copy of or link to the war diaries.