The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC FA War Diaries

MissingInAction

Today I looked through the Roll of the Indian Medical Services 1615 - 1930 as S A Fitch was employed into the Indian Army as a commissioned officer, I would have thought he'd be in it but he wasn't.

Thanks Steve for your advice about the change in search engine. I did see a message about work being done on the site so I wasn't suprised that it was hanging. The fact that you still manged to get though convinces me that you do have magic fingers.

Michael, what an achievement it would be if you were able to reunite all his medals, I think it is sad really that they get split up.

Barbara

Thanks, Steve, and also for the LG tip on the capitals.

Regards

Michael

Hi Dominic

That's really interesting to know, I hope you have their medals still ????

I'm sure some of us will be able to help each other at some point with these diaries and it's all useful to know.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks fo rthe reply-I'm afraid I don't have there medals John Barker's (the sergeant) were apaarently sold on ebay 3 years agao which I only found out about recently. I have attached part of the report that mentions Staff Sergeant Barker (John Williams Barker) and Private Barker (George Norman Barker). i have copies of George's service record, medal cards and Commonwealth war Graves entry for John, medal cards and London Gazette entry for his MM

post-3023-1179484704.jpg

Dominic

On the 21st August 1928, a party of 15 members of the unit Old Comrades Association visited Flanders for a long weekend tour. In 1935 a small history of the 5th London Fld Amb was written and some of them signed it, G N Barker's signature is there. If you do not have this information, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you what I have.

Barbara

There is reference to a S. A. Fitch in the 5th D.W.R. here:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Hi Steve

I've been going through some of this tonight and the above stuck out.

All the other chaps listed as Lt's or Capt's etc have the post nominals MBE MC and one has MM after his name.

I'd have thought with Fitch being a DCM and MM recipient he'd have had the post nomnal but it has nothing for this chap.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Michael

Today I looked through the Roll of the Indian Medical Services 1615 - 1930 as S A Fitch was employed into the Indian Army as a commissioned officer, I would have thought he'd be in it but he wasn't.

Thanks Steve for your advice about the change in search engine. I did see a message about work being done on the site so I wasn't suprised that it was hanging. The fact that you still manged to get though convinces me that you do have magic fingers.

Michael, what an achievement it would be if you were able to reunite all his medals, I think it is sad really that they get split up.

Barbara

Sorry Barbara, I did actually write a reply to this the other night when I answered the others, then my screen froze, I was tired and annoyed as I had to re-boot, so I went to bed.

Yes, it would be an achievement to reunite Fitch's group, an expensive one mind. I'm also at a disadvantage by only having the minor medal of the group, albeit with his MID. I like a lot and as long as I am the custodian, I wil try and find out as much as I can on this very brave man and keep his memory alive.

I somehow get the feeling Fitch wouldn't have been medically qualified enough to warrant him appearing in that roll of medical services. What are we talking about here, Surgeons, Doctors, senior Nursing staff etc ?

I just have a hunch that Fitch was a field man, hence his three gallantry awards, and probably too good a man at his job which saw him getting rapid promotion, which no doubt kept him and his experience with the stretcher units out in the field of conflict.

As I say just a hunch B)

I'm just wondering where the best place to start looking for his service records are.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks fo rthe reply-I'm afraid I don't have there medals John Barker's (the sergeant) were apaarently sold on ebay 3 years agao which I only found out about recently. I have attached part of the report that mentions Staff Sergeant Barker (John Williams Barker) and Private Barker (George Norman Barker). i have copies of George's service record, medal cards and Commonwealth war Graves entry for John, medal cards and London Gazette entry for his MM

That's a great shame the medals went on eBay, and frustrating, have you tried to find them yet by advertising anywhere ?

You should try the British Medal Forum, a search engine will bring it right up, I've been posting on there for a few years.

They'd probaby cost up to £450 for a MM with 1914-15 Trio, £500 for a casualty.

I'm selling one of my RAMC Field Ambulance Military Medals on eBay right now, 90 Field Ambulance chap.

Cheers

Michael

I somehow get the feeling Fitch wouldn't have been medically qualified enough to warrant him appearing in that roll of medical services. What are we talking about here, Surgeons, Doctors, senior Nursing staff etc ?

I just have a hunch that Fitch was a field man, hence his three gallantry awards, and probably too good a man at his job which saw him getting rapid promotion, which no doubt kept him and his experience with the stretcher units out in the field of conflict.

I'm just wondering where the best place to start looking for his service records are.

Regards

Michael

I understand what your saying, I may have mis-understood but I thought the author's intention was to list the names of every man who served in the IMS, even those who only served for a short period. I did see other Lts ect listed but I'll have to go back and re-check it.

As most of the records were destroyed at Kew and he last served in the IMS, so I'd be inclined to go to British Library first.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

I have another RAMC chap named Charles A G Harris. He want to France with 19 FA in August 1914 as part of the BEF. He got MID by Field Marshal Sir John French for 1st Ypres in October 1914 then later served with the EEF and the MEF. He then went to India.

I do have his service papers but even without them it's fairly clear he then went to nursing duties from stretcher bearer. This is confirmed when he went directly from the Balkans to India and joined the 43rd British General Hospital in Quetta, acting in support of British forces engaged in the 3rd Afghan War.

My point being, in a round-about way, is that this is the sort of person who I'd have thought might be listed.

Stretcher Bearer units or Field Ambulance personel, by nature of the fairly quick turnover of staff down the ranks, maybe wouldn't warrant being listed ??

Just a thought.

regards

Michael

Hi Michael

I do understand that the roll wouldn't list all ranks, but Steve's first gazette link states "The King has approved the admission of the following Officers to be the Ind. Army Reserve of Officers, on Probation...... To be 2nd Lieutenant." and the second link "The King has approved the relinguishment of temporary rank in the Indian Medical Services", therefore (to me) S A Finch served as a temp Officer in the Indian Medical Services. Thats why I would have thought he would be in the Roll.

If S A Finch was commissioned and served in a Field Amb or British Hospital in India I would have thought he would have remained serving under the RAMC and not IMS, even if serving in a Combined Fld Amb because these were made up of one British and one Indian Field Amb.

It will be interesting to know exactly what he did and, as I said, I'll have to look again at those who are listed to gain a better understanding.

Cheers for this Michael, :) this is the sort of query I would talk to my dear dad about and I really miss that.

Barbara

That's nice, Barbara, and good you get that sort of feeling and fond memories talking about it.

I see what you are saying about the LG Steve posted on Fitch and therefore being on the IMS roll.

I have a funny feeling about this that sopmething's not quite right, especially that last entry where there's no post nominals for him, and the name Stephen earlier as well.

Maybe I should check the Army Lists when at the NA as well, but I don't recall seeing any other Fitch's.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Roll of the Indian Medical Service 1615 - 1930 states in the Preface

"The Roll if the I.M.S. is, to a certain extent, compiled on the model of Colonel Johnston's Roll of the Army Medical Services; but with one important difference. Colonel Johnston's Roll gives the names of the commissioned officers only. This excludes the great majority of the Surgeons' Mates (Assistant Surgeon), who served during the eighteenth century. ...... It has been my endeavour to give the name of every man who served, even for the sortest period, in the Company's land medical services; and to include those who were posted or gazetted to the service, but never joined."

Thats the bit I became confused about. I have read some of my dad's notes which states

"Units of the Indian Army were composed of Indian `other ranks` with British and Indian officers. British officers held the King’s Commission. Indian officers held the Viceroy’s Commission holding subaltern status. Indian sub-units, companies and squadrons, were made up of one caste or class of men, drawn from what was considered to be the `martial` classes."

I have checked the Army List for Nov 1918 and there is only one S A Fitch - 2nd Lieut, Duke of Wellington (W Riding) Regiment. If Sydney Arthur Fitch was commissioned into the Indian Army by then though, would he be in the Army List? If so this would appear to be another S A Fitch.

The other lists I've checked are Jan 1915 and 1922 but there are no S A Fitchs listed. I've other places to search but it may take a while. I will keep searching for info though because this is intriguing now.

Barbara

Hello Barbara and Michael,

Re: Fitch, he appears in the 1919 Army List under Special List employed with the Indian Army (Res of Officers, on probation). His DCM & MM are included. If you look at the LG links (1st) and go to the

previous page it shows that he was with the Infantry Branch. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron

That's a great shame the medals went on eBay, and frustrating, have you tried to find them yet by advertising anywhere ?

You should try the British Medal Forum, a search engine will bring it right up, I've been posting on there for a few years.

They'd probaby cost up to £450 for a MM with 1914-15 Trio, £500 for a casualty.

I'm selling one of my RAMC Field Ambulance Military Medals on eBay right now, 90 Field Ambulance chap.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael

Thank you for the suggestion-I might try what you say.

Babara has been very kind in sending me scans of the unit history which is fantastic and I'd just like to thank her in public for doing this for me.

All the best

Dominic

Thanks Dominic

Ron, thanks for looking in the 1919 Army List.

It may be me but I think this is a little confusing. Facts...

1. 33542 Sidney Arthur Fitch - 30th Field Ambulance

2. 30th Field Ambulance joins an Indian Field Ambulance to become 154 Combined Field Ambulance

3. Stephen Arthur Fitch commissioned into the IMS

3. MIC - Sidney Arthur Fitch RAMC att Indian Army Reserve of Officers

4. LG - Stephen Arthur Fitch - Indian Army Reserve of Officers (Infantry Branch)

5. No MICs found for Stephen Arthur Fitch indicating that Sidney changed his name but no reference to RAMC

There must be a logical explaination but I'm inclined to give up now until something concrete comes along, lifes too short :D

The last of Steve's links - S A Fitch - Duke of Wellington Reg is Sidney Albert Fitch so thats one mystery solved.

Barbara

Requesting information and guidence on how to research 30729 Private W Dyson MM, 46th Field Ambulance, RAMC. Looking for diary information preceeding his death of 30th May 1917. Any clues as to whre 46th, were serving at the time?

Regards

Sad Act

Requesting information and guidence on how to research 30729 Private W Dyson MM, 46th Field Ambulance, RAMC. Looking for diary information preceeding his death of 30th May 1917. Any clues as to whre 46th, were serving at the time?

Regards

Sad Act

46 Field Ambulance RAMC were part of the 15th (Scottish) Division.

Their War Diary can be found at the National Archives file no WO95/1931

Cheers

Michael

Hi Barbara

I was passing near the NA the other day so I managed to pop in quickly just before they closed and managed to get 12 FA War Diary for a quick half hour shuffle through before they kicked me out.

I couldn't find any mention of my man William Ernest Bond on his MM or him being unjured and dying of his wounds. I reckon his details may be found in the diaries of 88th Battery RFA, whom he was supposed to be attached to when he died.

There's some superb stuff in there and you really do need time to go through them properly, being in pencil doesn't help either trying to decipher the writing.

Regards

Michael

Not so much a diary , but a story. If this can be of any help to you ? "MO"post-13272-1180343517.jpg

Any clues as to whre 46th, were serving at the time?

Regards

Sad Act

I am basing this soley on clues, but

In April 1917, the 15th Division were involved in three of the Battles of Arras and the cemetery details on CWGC website, where 30729 Private W Dyson MM is buried, states "The town of St Pol is about 29 kilometres south-west of Bethune and 34 kilometres west-north-west of Arras." However, the war diary is likely to provide the exact location. By the end of July they were involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Guessing a little further, the cemetery details states, "St. Pol-sur-Ternoise was an administrative centre during the whole of the war, taken over by British troops from the French in March, 1916; and No. 12 Stationary Hospital was posted on the race-course near the town from the 1st June, 1916, to 1st June, 1919." Due to the fact that he died, as opposed to Killed in action, it may be then that Pte Dyson became ill or was wounded during one of these battles and was passed down the chain to the hospital.

Hope this helps

Barbara

Hi Barbara

There's some superb stuff in there and you really do need time to go through them properly, being in pencil doesn't help either trying to decipher the writing.

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes I've noticed that, the superb stuff and the time you need to spend, when I was there last I spent most of my time in the photocopy room :rolleyes:

Good luck with the diaries of 88th Battery RFA, I hope it mentions William Ernest Bond MM. I'll be really interested to know.

Barbara

PS I'm hoping to get copies of the 1/3rd Highland Fld Amb war diary, so if I get there first I'll let you know as I'm aware you have an interest for one of your other men.

PS I'm hoping to get copies of the 1/3rd Highland Fld Amb war diary, so if I get there first I'll let you know as I'm aware you have an interest for one of your other men.

Excellent, Barbara, thank you.

His name is Acting Sergeant Alexander Mitchell 1/3 FA from Dundee.

Kind regards

Michael

Not so much a diary , but a story

Do you have a copy of this book?

If so I'd be really interested in any scans of periods covering July 1916, April 1917 and March 1918.

Regards

Ali

Hi, I am new to the forum so please bear with me if I am in the wrong place.

I am looking for information on my great great uncle, pte 73246 Joseph Baxter Burn RAMC. He died on 28 July 1916, I was told in Ypres, but he is burried at St Sever Cemetary, Rouen. His CWGC records also mention 3rd Stationary Hospital.

Could anyone advise me or point me in the right direction to find out where and/or how he died, and where I can find more infortmation on his unit? I have seen many references to field hospitals and clearing stations but a little confused as to stationary hospitals (although I assume from their name they were in one place?) I would like to find out a little more about Josephs unfortunately short career in the army so any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Angie