The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC FA War Diaries

MissingInAction

Hi Angie

Sorry for the delay replying but I've not been on the Forum for a few days.

Firstly, his Medal Index Card can be found here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

£3-50 to download on-line, free at the National Archives (or 20p for a photocopy)

That will tell you basic information on him like his medal entitlement, number and unit. Some are more detailed and if you are lucky it may tell you the date he entered the Theatre of War and where, like France and Flanders, Balkans etc. His date of death may well be on it and also if you are very lucky, who he may have been attached to when he died.

Other than that, your best bet is to see if you can obtain his service records from the National Archives, if you can't go yourself there are researchers who will get what they can on him for a fee. Once you have his service records they should tell you who he was serving with and in the medical bits how he died if you are lucky.

The other avenue is to then check the war diaries like we've been talking about on here for a mention, but they won't tell you how he died, just where he was if lucky.

It's all hit and miss as you can see, some people you come up trumps with, others you get the wild Goose-Chase for just a mere snippit of information.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Michael

I forgot to say....

If you do download his Medal Index Card and are having trouble deciphering it, post a decent picture on here of it or send it to me directly, and I'll do what I can to help.

Cheers

Michael

• 5 months later...
Michael,

I've done research using the 2/1st West Lancashire FA War Diary at the NA.

I took my camera and photographed the whole thing so that I could look through it at my leisure.

I'm not sure if it is typical of FA War Diaries as I haven't looked at any others so far, but is very detailed and gives many references to Other Ranks as well as Officers.

Good luck,

Ken

Hi Ken

I knew the time would come sometime........

Does the Diary have any mention of David G. Martin ?

He was a Territorial with West Lancs (Aintree) Field Ambulance, designated 98 Field Ambulance RAMC in 1914.

His rank was Quartermaster Sergeant up until November 1917, then Sergeant Major, commissioned Lieut. Q'Master in November 1918.

Mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig's Dispatches on 9 April 1917, then again on 7th November 1917 for the (3rd) Battle of Ypres.

Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal January 1919.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barbara;

On the 12 May you posted a reply to another member which is quoted (in part) below.

My Dad was a Pte with the 1st bn East Lancs Regt and was wounded between 13-31 May 1915.

Is there any mention of my Dad in the reference material that you have? His No. was 11814.

He was subsequently wounded a further 3 times and was eventually discharged as unfit for further service on the

1 March 1919.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

expat pom

Michael

With regards to William Ernest Bond being wounded. The cemetery details state that it was mostly used by Field Ambulances and due to the fact that they only had a holding capacity of 1 week, I would estimate that he was wounded between the 13th and 21st May. If he was wounded much earlier he would likely have been passed down the chain to a CCS.

I haven't got any details from the 12th Fld Amb war diary for the time period but I do have details from a personal diary of a Pte who was serving with the 11th Fld Amb, they were also serving in the 4th Div. As you will see there was alot going on at that time.

• 8 months later...
. . . No. 12 Stationary Hospital was posted on the race-course near [st. Pol-sur-Ternoise] from the 1st June, 1916, to 1st June, 1919." . . .

Barbara

Thanks for the (unwitting) help with "St Pol 12 Sty H"

Carl

Do you have a copy of this book?

If so I'd be really interested in any scans of periods covering July 1916, April 1917 and March 1918.

Regards

Ali

Ali if you go here you can download a copy of the book for free in PDF form , right click on one of the PDF option and select "save target as" and save to your hard drive.

John

Carl

Thanks, it's good to know that contributions help people. Thanks also for posting the image, I have downloaded it and will add it to my profiles.

Barbara

• 10 years later...

Hi,

The 30th field ambulance part of the irish 10th division trained in Limerick in 1914-1915.

see photo below. Limerick was designated a royal army medical training centre

30/31/32 10th division and 16th division med coy later 37th div 48/49/50 field medical coy also trained there.

I stephen fitch trained with the 30th field ambulance it likely hes in photo below.

be interested in any info you might have on him 

regards 

stephen

Royal Army Medical Corp 1915.jpg

Gents I am looking at a 

1460 also 682000 John Randall MM RAMC who was in 1/2 West Lance Field Ambulance when on the 1st June 1917 gained his MM and was also injured and had to be admitted to hospital.

A month later he moved to the Royal Artillery. 

It was gazetted 21st Aug 1917

He did not get his MM till some years later when he sent in a letter to the MOD asking for it. 

Is there any mention of him around the above date with mention of him gaining his MM?

thanks for your help in this 

Daz

The Long Long Trail says 1/2 WLFA were designated as 98 Field Ambulance. I've looked through their diary for June-Aug 1917 and not seen mention of him. One of his sheets says original unit 1/2 WLFA, this could mean original unit before Artillery or it could mean his 1st posting and maybe he moved to another WLFA.

Also note that he was wounded 1/6/1917 but the diary makes no mention of injuries a few days either side of this. They do mention 4 ORs wounded for the month of June.

He arrived back in the UK Feb 1919 and wrote in to try a claim for his MM and for a TEM in Sept 1918.

TEW