The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Public School Battalion, RND

Brigantian

I am researching a Sheffield war memorial and have a query relating to one of the men commemorated, an Ernest Ronald Shuttleworth.

Ernest was killed on the first day of the Somme serving as a 2 Lt in the 1/8 Warwickshire Regiment. Ernest’s army service file, held at the National Archives, shows that prior to his commission on 10 April 1915 he was serving as an Ordinary Seaman in the Public School Battalion, Royal Naval Division, Crystal Palace.

I am aware of eight Royal Naval Division Battalions (Anson, Hood, Drake, Benbow, Hawke, Collingwood, Nelson and Howe) plus four of the Royal Marines but I am struggling to find any reference at all to a Public School Battalion. Am I missing something really obvious?

I will try to locate his Navy service record when I next visit the National Archives but in the meantime I would be grateful if anyone could point me towards any references or information on the Public School Battalion?

Mark

Mark,

The foll quote is from Douglas Jerrold's history 'The Royal Naval Division' and he is refering to the reformation of the Hawke, Benbow and Collingwood battalions following their action at Antwerp; this reformation took place in Dec.'14 & Jan.'15 so it seems to fit in with your chap's details.

"The Hawke Battalion was fortunate enough to be allowed to absorb, as one of its companies, the Public Schools Battalion, raised originally by Commander the Hon. Victor Gibson for service in the Army, and later re-enlisted in the RNVR for service in the Naval Division. The senior officers of the Battalion could not, of course be absorbed in the Hawke Battalion, and were transferred to service elsewhere; the men transferred were under the command of Lieut. Wolfe Barry, RNVR., who thus became the O.C. "D" Coy. in the new Hawke Battalion."

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

Thanks for the reply. The information from Jerrold is most helpful and gives me a positive lead.

Regards

Mark