The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Backs to the Wall

Andrew P

George Mitchell who served with the 10th Battalion at Gallipoli and France before transferrring to the 48th Battalion wrote his memoirs in the 1930's under the title "Backs to the Wall'.

I have not yet read this book but have read his diaries which are located at the Australian War Memorial and they are a very compelling read so hopefully the book is also similar.

Allen & Unwin has republished Mitchell's book

http://www.allenandunwin.com/Shopping/Prod...N=9781741752052

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I note Mitchell's service with the 10th Battalion. Does that stretch as far as April 1918? And if so, is the title a reference to Haig's appeal?

Mitchell transferred to 48 Bn after he was wounded at Gallipoli and then went to France. He was with 48 Bn at Bullecourt, as a Lewis gunner. the title does refer to Haig's message.

Chris Henschke

No worries Frev. I picked up my copy this morning. Two bookshops had sold out of it but the ABC shop still had some left fortunately.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for that Chris. I would be interested in the book if it dealt in part with Australian involvement at the Battle of the Lys, about which I have little apart from the Offy (Brit and Aus). Could you explain a little more about the tie-up between the book's title and its content please?

Hi Richard

The only Australians involved in the battle of Lys were the 1st Division and some ancilliary units such as elements of the 3rd Tunnelling Company.

The 48th Battalion was heavily involved on the Somme front and was one of the battalions that took the brunt of the German attack at Dernancourt in early April 1918, so I don't think that there would be anything relating to the Battle of Lys in this book, but you never know.

I had been assuming that the title of the book did come from Sir Douglas Haig's appeal, but If I find otherwise I'll let you know.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 years later...

I have just got this book out of my local library and can hardly put it down, it is a really good read. The book was first published in 1937 and this edition was republished in 2007 and is obviously available in the UK now. George Mitchell has a method of writing that is very descriptive, not just the fighting, but the bone wearying journeys to and from the front, the extreme cold and life out of the line and what it must have felt like to be over there. I haven't finished reading it yet but I can thoroughly recommend it.

Richard