The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

East Lancs Cyclists Coy

Mark Hone

A friend has asked me to look into the war service of her grandfather, J. Turner, who served with the East Lancs Cyclists from 8/12/15 until 11/12/16, then joined the 13th DLI and was eventually commissioned into the 13th Duke's (West Ridings) in 1918. With which division did the East Lancs Cyclists serve?

Not sure if this is the right unit Mark, but the 66th (2/1 E Lancs) Div Cyclist Coy served with 66th (2nd East Lancs) Division, but did not go overseas with them.

The Division was at Crowborough Sussex by Aug 1915. End of Aug all home-service men left the various units, only those men who had the imperial Service obligation were retained.

In 1916 Div went to Colchester (inc mounted troops). Ready for overseas Jan 1917, went to France Feb 1917.

Information from Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions

Incidentally, 13 DLI was in 68th Brigade 23rd Division - this was the Brigade that Norman Gladden was in (11NF) - wrote "Ypres 1917" and "Across the Piave". I have the 23rd Div Hist, if its of any use.

Thanks very much. I assume that that is the right cycle unit. I'd be interested in the 23rd Div stuff as my research progresses,

Mark