The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

History of 251 German Divisions

Ralph J. Whitehead

Many of us have the reprint of the American Intelligence book on the 251

German Divisions that fought in the war. Unfortunately while the divisions are numbered in sequence the infantry regiment are not.

Many years ago I prepared a handwritten index of units from active regiments down to Landsturm units. I did my best to account for every unit mentioned and provide the page where it could be found as well as any new division it was transferred to. I have recently placed this list into a computer file, on an excel spreadsheet.

If anyone has an interest in the list I would be glad to e-mail it to them. Just send me a message giving me your home e-mail address so that I can attach the file.

Merry Christmas,

Ralph

P.S. If anyone finds an error in the list please let me know and I will make corrections. I cannot vouch for the actual information provided in the book as there were mistakes made when it was published.

Just an update, I am preparing the list of cavalry, artillery and other units that I expect to have completed shortly. I will send a copy to those who have already asked for the initial list.

Merry Christmas to all,

Ralph