The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Devonshire Regiment help needed

Guest alkens

Hi Everyone.

I know this is a WW1 forum, but I can't really hope to find anywhere else where I might be able to gain some information.

My great great grandfather was Henry Mark Harris, born 1871 in Sydenham, Kent. Apparently he served with the Devonshire Regiment during the Boar War. According to various family stories, he was one Lawerence of Arabia's bodyguard's. Another story is just that he had met him.so I don't really know. He went by the nickname "tich", but I do not know whether he was a small man or a tall one.

Anyhow, this is all I have in regards to information. Someone in the family has the medals, but it's like gettting bloody out of stone.

hope someone can advise/help me.

many thanks

Paul

According to various family stories, he was one Lawerence of Arabia's bodyguard's.

In the introductory chapter to his book 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' T. E. Lawrence says: "I went up the Tigris with one hundred Devon Territorials, young , clean, delightful fellows, full of the power of happiness and of making women and children glad. By them one saw vividly how great it was to be their kin, and English. And we were casting them by their thousands into the fire to the worst of deaths, not to win the war but that the corn and rice and oil of Mesopotamia might be ours."

Lawrence is referring here to his part in the unsuccessful mission to negotiate [buy] the release of the British force shut up by the Turks in Kut. The dates of this mission were c. 20th March - 26th May 1916. It is also covered by Aubrey Herbert in his book 'Mons, Anzac, Kut.' Herbert mentions both the 1/4th Devons and the 1/6th Devons and Chris' mother-site 'The Long, Long Trail' confirms that both were in the area at the time; the 1/6th Devons from 5th Jan 1916 and the 1/4th Devons landed Basra 2nd March 1916

As John has suggested, contact the regimental museum and perhaps start your search with these two battalions mentioned above

Best of luck

Michael D.R.