The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Cross

Guest newworldmember

Guest newworldmember

In the past, I've read that the Prince of Wales was awarded a Military Cross during World War One.

I know he made one or more tours of the trenches, but I can't imagine him being put in harm's way long enough for him to qualify for this decoration.

I'll be most grateful to anyone who can shed any light on this subject.

Cory Kilvert :)

Cory

I think an article appeared about this in the Medals News magazine some years ago now. As far as I'm an aware, the Prince of Wales was kept at an HQ far from the front, much to his disappiontment, and was eventually sent back to the UK without seeing frontline service. To assuage his disappiontment his father, King George V, fowarded his name for the MC. Although the MC was supposed to be awarded for gallantry, it was also used in the New Years Honours List for meritorious service, prior to the introduction of the Order of British Empire ,(various classes).

Out of interest I have have a photograph of the Prince of Wales in military uniform on his entry into the army. His "Sam Browne" has every attachment that you could think of. If you want photo of this, please let me know.

Terry Reeves

Cory - I dont know anything about the PoW ever getting an MC (doesnt mean he didnt, just means I dont know if he did !) - but he was Mentioned in Dispatches by Sir John French during April 1915. He was an Aide-de-Camp at French's HQ and the MiD was for his work at the time of Neuve Chapelle (sorting out Sir JF's paper-clips ?).

During the King's visit to France, October 1915, the PoW was also awarded the French Croix de Geurre - by the French President, personally.

When French MiD'd him he (French) sent the PoW to London to present the Mention to Lord Kitchener.

I also recall that Idi Amin awarded himself the VC, but just mention that in passing. :lol:

Regards - Tom

Idi Amin,

I guess that every group that is capable of generating a Nelson Mandela is also able to give us an Idi Amin. Here in Canada, and I am sure in the UK, USA,etc., we certainly have benefitted from Amin's insanity. A generation of hard working Asian Ugandans have become wonderful Canadian citizens and have made great contributions to our nation.

Cory,

In one of life's nice little surprises this award turned up on the same LG page as a DSO I was checking on and as someone has already suggested it was in the King's Birthday Honours

Supplement to the London Gazette, 3 June, 1916

Awarded the Military Cross

Capt. H.R.H. Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David, Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall, K.G., G. Gds.

Regards

Michael D.R.