The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

I read such a sad story,

David_Bluestein

Its a very sad story. I was similarly touched by a local man I was researching who had been killed in action 10/11/1918. He had recently been posted to HMS Ascot which was lost off the Farn Islands in what was believed to be a U-boat action. His wife had died just 4 months before (aged just 28) and so three children, aged 7, 5 and 3 became orphans. (Another child had died in Feb 1918). Imagine, the family had probably received news of the Armistice before news of their father/son (the children were with his parents).

David,

A truly sad story to go witrh that "common" pair. We often see obituaries of men who were in the 35-45 age range, married, with families, who obviously didn't have to enlist. It amazes me that so many did.

A sad story indeed; I see he is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial; one of the huge number of missing at Courcelette. I think of them every time I walk the fields around my house there - thanks for sharing that with us, David.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Update to my research of John B---------d....

Here is a photo of John, sitting middle, on the ground. Such a nice clear photo from a very rare regimental history, kindly scanned by a friend!

I just had to showcase my new find here!!!

post-1-1074388435.jpg