The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Britain's Last Tommies

gary_pearcy

What a gripping book! I thought it was fascinating to hear first hand accounts from these brave fellows. I was particularly gripped by the final chapters about soldiers who experienced the Armistice at the front. Some truely harrowing accounts.

Van Emden is a really lucky chap to have met all these survivors. Does anyone know if Harry Patch is still alive?

I saw a documentary about 18 months ago that featured many of these old soldiers - Arthur Halestrap, Harry Patch, Arthur Barraclough and several others. I think it carried the same title as the book. Having heard them speak on television helped me to hear their voices on the page.

Sad, funny, tragic, moving, incredibly poingnant stuff. I thought it was excellent.

I enjoyed the book too!

Agree - excellent book, and Harry is still with us and doing great - now got a sort of celebrity status.

Glyn

Agreed, and if you've not already read it Gary, try Emden's 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War'. I'm going try 'All Quiet On The Home Front' next.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi, yes Harry is still very much alive and well. He will be 109 on June 17th and his biography 'The Last Fighting Tommy' is due out two weeks later. This is Harry's full story from 1898 to the present day and includes new details of his war service and even a picture of him in uniform taken at a wedding in 1918.

Harry is also looking forward to launching his own lifeboat which he has bought from the advance on his book. The D Class Inflatible is due to be launched in July.

:rolleyes:

What a gripping book! I thought it was fascinating to hear first hand accounts from these brave fellows. I was particularly gripped by the final chapters about soldiers who experienced the Armistice at the front. Some truely harrowing accounts.

Van Emden is a really lucky chap to have met all these survivors. Does anyone know if Harry Patch is still alive?

I saw a documentary about 18 months ago that featured many of these old soldiers - Arthur Halestrap, Harry Patch, Arthur Barraclough and several others. I think it carried the same title as the book. Having heard them speak on television helped me to hear their voices on the page.

Sad, funny, tragic, moving, incredibly poingnant stuff. I thought it was excellent.

IF you can get a magnifying glass look at harrys eyes on the cover???????????????

(thnaks tom)

IF you can get a magnifying glass look at harrys eyes on the cover???????????????

(thnaks tom)

Is that Thiepval Memorial?

Agreed, and if you've not already read it Gary, try Emden's 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War'.

Agreed!

Totally agree,

An essential book in my collection.

Ian.

Is that Thiepval Memorial?

NAH not even close,very cold have another look but use the good eye this time and a magnifying glass !!!!!

Hi, yes Harry is still very much alive and well. He will be 109 on June 17th and his biography 'The Last Fighting Tommy' is due out two weeks later. This is Harry's full story from 1898 to the present day and includes new details of his war service and even a picture of him in uniform taken at a wedding in 1918.

Harry is also looking forward to launching his own lifeboat which he has bought from the advance on his book. The D Class Inflatible is due to be launched in July.

Unfortunately the book has been postponed until the official launch date of 1st August.

Cheers

Ryan

NAH not even close,very cold have another look but use the good eye this time and a magnifying glass !!!!!

Give up! Give us a clue.

(thnaks tom)

Stretcher bearer party ? Artillery piece ?

Give up! Give us a clue.

easy peasy,its outlines of tommies get it, says what it is on the tin,its tommies britains last tommies.

have also looked at fortons post,I feel like harrys relation,im the lucky b++ger who "won"the first autographed copy of last tommies on e bay,now I find out its dear harrys birthday, on june 17th,well its also my 30th wedding anniv,(couldnt get married on the 18th battle of waterloo and all that,where my hero came second)

so happy birthday to harry and happy anniv to my lucky wife

• 3 months later...

Agree with comments, excellent book, The final chapter of the soldiers returning to " A land fit for heroes is very poignant". I could not put the book down.

I will also have to read Boy Soldiers ,it has been on my book shelf for a couple of years. I also read the book "The Veteran's" which the BBC produced a documentary to run alongside. That book was written by Van Emden. What a very fortunate author he is to have had so much contact with these old soldiers.

Hat of to him for producing such interesting and readable books.

Cheers

Paul