Initials: J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 25/12/1914

Service No: 3/2873

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 81.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

How sad that a man who had survived the virtual destruction of his battalion at Le Cateau, and then the fighting around Armentieres, should die of wounds or sickness on this day.

Remembering him and all the others, on so many Christmases, in so many wars.

Our man was born in Hyde, Cheshire. That comes under the Stockport (Cheshire) district.

I can only find one John William Harrison in the Free BMD archives (and registered on the 1901 census) who fits the bill, and he was born in the March quarter of 1890.

John William Harrison's occupation is not given, in 1901. He was probably still at school

Our man, if I am right, was therefore 24 years of age when he was killed in action.

I don't know the significance of the #3 before his number (3/2873). But there are others with this number system who were also killed in 1914; recalled for colour service....??

John does not appear to be remembered on any of the memorials in his native Hyde. He may, of course, have moved and is one of the several J Harrisons recorded on carlscam.com(although he isnt either of the two on the main Stockport town memorial

John

I don't know the significance of the #3 before his number (3/2873). But there are others with this number system who were also killed in 1914; recalled for colour service....??

Remembering John William . . .

Pete, I think this means he was at some point in 3rd (Reserve) Battalion; my grandad's number is recorded as 5838 or 2/5838; I was told it was the whim of the clerk at the time as to how it was put on paper.

Peter in Vancouver