The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CAPT C P CHAPMAN : 5th South Staffordshire

Dolphin

I was recently on Norfolk Island, a tiny, but very beautiful, place in the South Pacific some 1700 km north-east of Sydney, and went to the Returned Services Club, where there is a photographic display of Norfolk Islanders who have served in Australia's various Wars.

I noticed that one photo showed a man in a distinctive British Army Captain's uniform, rather than that of the AIF or NZEF. He was Charles Pease Chapman, dob 11 March 1888, who was (among other things) Clerk of the Court on Norfolk before the War. The RSL has a deal of information on him, including a summary of his Australian service: he enlisted in the AIF on 28 August 1914 and was discharged as a Lance Corporal on 19 January 1916, when he was commissioned into the South Staffordshire Regiment.

With the South Staffords, he was promoted to Lieutenant in July 1916 and Captain on 1 April 1920 (the date of his discharge). After the War became a teacher and headmaster in Sydney.

Does anyone know something of Lt Chapman's career in the British Army?

Cheers

Dolphin

Did you happen to get a listing of these men? Or could you give me the address of the RSC?

I'd like to publish a full listing of them all as one of my booklets for PI genealogy, with info from the armies concerned. if possible.

Christine

I've written to you directly with the details of a contact at the Norfolk Island RSL Club.

Cheers

Dolphin

Thanks, I have emailed him.

Going through the NAA files I discovered another serving in Britain

NOBBS C H S (Lieutenant) - Royal Air Force - embarked for Australia per Devanha 8 May 1919 for Norfolk Island.

Does anyone know anything about him?

Christine

His photo is on the wall at the RSL, captioned as Henry (Charles) Nobbs, Royal Flying Corps. As I recall, he was wearing pilot's wings. I made a note of the name, and have had a quick look through some of the standard works on British airmen, but so far without success.

Regards

Dolphin