The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th East Lancashires

Stephen Barker

My Great Uncle Lance-Sgt. John Barker of this BN was killed on 27/2/17. How should I find out more about his war service. I need lots of ideas.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen Barker

Stephen

If you look at the top of this page you'll see a suggestion to visit the Grandad's war section of the mother site. Good recommendation.

Also, if you go to the Document Repository section of the Forum and look up unit histories, you will find another member has the regimental history and will, no doubt, look something up for you to see if there is any mention of the day your relative died.

It would also be helpful to us all, in trying to help you, if you can post what you already know.

John

Stephen.

Not sure what information you have,so I have posted this anyway.

SDGW CD Rom

East Lancashire Regiment

8th Battalion

L/Sgt 17378

John Barker

Born- Barnton Cheshire

Enlisted-Northwich,Cheshire

Died-27/02/17

Killed in Action-France & Flanders.

Regards Doug

Also, if you go to the Document Repository section of the Forum and look up unit histories, you will find another member has the regimental history and will, no doubt, look something up for you to see if there is any mention of the day your relative died.

Volunteering me for something yet again, eh, John ? :lol:

Volunteering me for something yet again, eh, John ? :lol:

All Pals together, mate. ;)

Quote from Document Repository guidelines "If you would like others to help you, it goes without saying that you need to help them."

Seriously, though. I think it's a good idea to point newcomers in the general direction of the relevent part of the site, without holding their hands too much. Good way of finding out what's around.

John

(PS: going to Stockport Library for you probably Monday or Tues next week)

• 2 months later...

Stephen:- Hope this may be of interest.

"On Feb 9, 37 div relieved 24 div in the 1 Corps Hulluch-Loos area. On the 11th the Bn (8EL) went into line.On extreme right of Bn front was the Double Crassier. The most noticeable features of the front were the enormous number of enemy trench mortars, the thickness of the enemy wire and the lack of this on our side. Our "opposite numbers" were the 11 Warwicks and when out of the line we went into reserve at Maroc or Les Brebis.On Feb 22 occurred the first break in the long frost, and on the 23rd, when we relieved the Warwicks the communication trenches were alomost impassable, and the move was finally completed at night over the top. The main communication trench was not revetted, so when the thaw came its sides fell in, and instead of being 4ft wideand 6ft deep, it became 6ft wide and 4ft deep with another 2ft or more of incredibly adhesive chalky mud at the bottom.. On March 2nd the Division was relieved."

Taken from EL Regtl History. No mention of action around 27/2.