The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Last Fighting Tommy - The Life of Harry Patch

salientpoints

169868.jpgThe Last Fighting Tommy - The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches.

ISBN 0747591156

EAN 9-780747-591153

Pub Date Aug-2007

Price £16.99

Format Hardback

Dimensions 234 x 153 mm

Extent 256 pages

This new book is due out for the beginning of August. Richard is a lucky chap to have this special relationship with Harry and to have worked on such a unique project and I am sure we will all be rushing out to read all about Harry's life.

Here's the blurb:

The extraordinary and moving story of a man whose life has spanned 6 monarchs and 20 Prime Ministers.

Harry Patch, the last British soldier alive to have fought in the trenches of the First World War, is now 108 years old and one of very few people who can

directly recall the horror of that conflict. Harry vividly remembers his childhood in the Somerset countryside of Edwardian England. He left school in 1913 to become an apprentice plumber but three years later was conscripted, serving as a machine gunner in the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. Fighting in the mud and trenches during the Battle of Passchendaele, he saw a great many of his comrades die, and in one dreadful moment the shell that wounded him kill his three closest friends. In vivid detail he describes daily life in the trenches, the terror of being under intense artillery fire, and the fear of going over the top. Then, after the Armistice, the soldiers’ frustration at not being quickly demobbed led to a mutiny in which Harry was soon caught up.

The Second World War saw Harry in action on the home front as a fire-fighter during the bombing of Bath. He also warmly describes his friendship with

American GIs preparing to go to France, and, years later, his tears when he saw their graves.

Late in life Harry achieved fame, meeting the Queen and taking part in the BBC documentary The Last Tommies, finally shaking hands with a German veteran

of the artillery and speaking out frankly to Prime Minister Tony Blair about the soldiers shot for cowardice in the First World War.

The Last Fighting Tommy is the story of an ordinary man’s extraordinary life.

Defintitely one to look forward to,

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Just to flag this up in case any Pals are visiting Ypres at the end of July, I know that Richard Van Emden will be signing copies of this great new book over the 28th & 29th. This will be between both shops on Meensestraat over the Sat & Sun.

Peter Barton will also be in attendance signing copies of Passchendaele - The Complete Panoramas. There is also the chance to win a set of both books signed by the authors and Harry Patch!

Cheers

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Harry launched his lifeboat at Poole last Friday in the pouring rain. It is called the 'Doris & Harry' in memory of his companion Doris who died in March. She was a lifelong RNLI supporter and Harry thought it a fitting way to remember her. BBC link to the story here

The money to pay for the boat came from his advance for this book - he gave it all to the RNLI.

A wonderful & generous gesture.

Jeremy

Agreed, Jeremy, and how touching that Doris is remembered too...

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

There is a charity auction on ebay for a limited edition copy of The Last Fighting Tommy, signed by both Richard van Emden and Harry Patch.

This is going to be one of the last times you will ever get the chance to own an item about and signed by a Great War veteran...

Item number 230157457681

All in aid of Talbot House!

cheers

Ryan

Just finished reading the book. A lasting memory to a remarkable man. God bless you Henry John Patch. Ralph.

Wow! great auction result £375.00 - superb

well on the way to raising £1000 :)

So, here's another chance item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230160499933

Good luck!

Ryan

Wow! great auction result £375.00 - superb

well on the way to raising £1000 :)

So, here's another chance item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230160499933

Good luck!

Ryan

I paid £16.99 for mine. I thought the government had inflation under control!

A nice amount of money raised for a worthy cause.

Liam

The last winning bidder on ebay has had their bid withdrawn as for whatever reason now they are no longer a registered user.

The latest signed copy is currently in a bargain position... (but he hopes) not for long !

Cheers,

Ryan

Are there any more copies of 'The Last Fighting Tommy' signed by Harry Patch available?- or was the one sold on Ebay yesterday the last one?

If any of you have the Book People coming into your workplace every month and leaving some books for you to buy, they are offering this book for £7 at the moment.

Angela

Are there any more copies of 'The Last Fighting Tommy' signed by Harry Patch available?- or was the one sold on Ebay yesterday the last one?

Hi Pete,

We hope to arrange at least one more as we fell a little short of our target to try and raise £1000 for Toc-H.

I'll keep the forum posted.

ryan

If any of you have the Book People coming into your workplace every month and leaving some books for you to buy, they are offering this book for £7 at the moment.

Angela

:angry2: evil booksellers....

Hi Pete,

We hope to arrange at least one more as we fell a little short of our target to try and raise £1000 for Toc-H.

I'll keep the forum posted.

ryan

:angry2: evil booksellers....

Ok thanks Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

I've now finished Harry's book and thought I'd give a few comments.

On another thread in chit-chat, a few Pals have mentioned that they feel Harry's story has been told and they doubt there is much more to say. I'd have to say that I agree with regard to the material relating to the Great War - but there is still quite a lot of interest in the book - for me primarily Harry's early life in the village of Combe Down, near Bath, which really gives a flavour of what life was like in the early years of the century, and his fire-fighting activities in the Second World War. Perhaps a few of the stories relating to Harry's plumbing and sanitation career could have been trimmed though.

It's not an essential read, and it's really only the fact of Harry's longevity that has caused his story to be told, but still I'm very happy to know a little more about the man and his times.

Alan

I've just finished this book and found it at times heartwarming and at others tear jerking.

It certainly does give an overview of times gone by from his early life and brings us forward to the present day.

There are so many sides to Harry which people just don't know about and I feel he probably agreed to this book because although he has now reconciled (?) himself to WWI, that is all people ever want to ask him about.

When he was over 90 years of age the council had to ask him to descend into the below ground quarries to map it out for them because no-one knew the layout - this covers miles underground and people are easily lost there, but Harry knew it from playing there as a lad.

He's keen on history and loves to talk to people about the local history.

His relationship with his children is mentioned - I won't say what happens here, it'll spoil it.

You start to understand the man Harry is and WWI plays only a very small part (proportionately) of the book.

I agree that it's not an 'essential' read but I really 'enjoyed' it.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a charity auction on ebay for a limited edition copy of The Last Fighting Tommy, signed by both Richard van Emden and Harry Patch.

This is going to be one of the last times you will ever get the chance to own an item about and signed by a Great War veteran...

Item number 230157457681

All in aid of Talbot House!

cheers

Ryan

I am pleased to inform pals that we have as promised arranged for 2 final copies of the book to be auctioned in aid of Toc-H. This should give us the target in excess of £1000

They are on ebay now item numbers:

Cheers,

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Harry's new portrait graces the front cover of the Western Daily Press. It is good to see that he has a copy of his book on his lap!

For those local to Taunton, the original painting is on display in the Great Hall at Somerset County Museum, Taunton.

Click here to read story & see pictures

cheers

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

A big thank you to all those who bid and especially those who won a rare and worthwhile signed edition of the book. A wopping £1300 raised for Talbot House with Harry's help!

Earlier last month I presented the cheque to Annelies at Talbot House whilst Richard was able to go and see Harry to show him how his endeavours have helped.

post-1391-1196670385.jpg

post-1391-1196670488.jpg

Thanks to Chris for his attendance!

More news on how the money will be spent in the New Year.....

Cheers,

Ryan

Goodness, Harry looks like he's getting younger!

Well done to all...

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Harry's fame has reached the rock industry. Bryan Adams, rock singer and photographer has recently been to see Harry. As you might imagine none of the residents recognised him but some of the staff did - Bryan Adams that is!

I thought it was a good read, and he is an interesting man. Recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Harry’s book over the weekend and thought I’d post some comments too.

I must admit to not being particularly impartial here as I am good friends with Richard and have also known Harry for a number of years, being lucky enough to have looked after him whenever he went back on his pilgrimages to Ypres. So, I know Harry pretty well and have heard many of his stories a number of times. What struck me on finishing the book was how much detail Richard had managed to get from Harry and how many ‘new’ stories (well, to me) the book contained. Congratulations should be paid to the author for such detailed research, cross-checking of facts and figures and the unearthing of a previously unknown picture of Harry in khaki. Rather than focusing solely on his war service Harry’s entire life is covered from his earliest memories in Edwardian Somerset to his TV appearances in the 21st century. The book gives a picture of a very honest and upright gentleman.

Harry is perfectly aware that it is only his longevity that has earned him such fame. He certainly did not have a spectacular war, he gained no bravery medals and wasn’t even in Flanders that long before being wounded. Still, perhaps as in many other ways this makes him typical of many a wartime Tommy. It is the effect that those few months of active service had on him that is startling. Many will have seen Harry on various TV documentaries but I think this book really does illustrate the effect of war on a typical, normal man. It certainly had a marked effect on the rest of his life.

I must say that I found the Prologue very well written and, at times, intensely moving. To me, it shows that there is a real friendship between Harry and Richard which transcends any ‘one off’ book deal. I know that they are good friends and this comes across completely throughout the book.

For those who want a break from the minutiae of tactics, logistics and great battles I can thoroughly recommend this as a really pleasant way of spending a few hours.

Happy reading.

Jeremy

Got a copy signed and dedicated by Richard for Christmas - almost finished present book so will be embarking on this as soon as I can, adn I cannot wait to get into it.

Totally agree with Jeremy a truly moving book but at same time very amusing and enlightning. Truly brings out Harry's spirit and dare i say cheekiness. Of course i am one of the many who do not personally know Harry but feel i have learned a little of his life through this book and various tv programmes. As Harry as said in the book he is no doubt a little fed up of being asked about the war now and so i ask the question: Is it now time to let him enjoy his remaining years without everyone keep on bringing up what are obviously still very vivid and horrific memories for him?

Wayne

Am reading it now and so far have got as far as Harry reaching the front line. Really enjoying this book and found the life of an Edwardien lad really interesting. Highly recommended. Thanks to Harry and Richard!!

TT