The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Last Fighting Tommy - The Life of Harry Patch

salientpoints

I received this as a Christmas gift, not read it yet but will be looking forward to it when i get to it.

I received this as a Christmas gift, not read it yet but will be looking forward to it when i get to it.

Me too ;)

There are some copies for sale, signed, but I think they are all signed by the author, and not Harry.

Did Harry do a book signing at Foyles or was it just Richard?

• 1 month later...

I've just finished it having received it for chrimbo, a great read, a remarkable man, and a great insight into what life used to be like. But the best thing for me to come out of this book is it is Harry the man and not Harry the soldier.

A worthy read, I highly recommend it to everyone

• 3 months later...

I bought this book last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Coincidentally, the week before I had been staying in an excellent guest house in Bath (run by a really nice German) situated in a road about 250 yards from where Harry was machine gunned in WW2 by a German bomber whilst working for the Auxiliary Fire Service.

Harry's life in the trenches occupied about 4 of the 1300+ months he has been alive which, combined with the memories he has of that time, makes it understandable that he has really had enough of people asking him about it. But of course it has affected the rest of his life in many ways (some good, some bad) - especially over the last few years.

A recommended read.

Neil

Bought this book last week and am saving it for my holidays next week. I don't live too far from Coombe Down and know Bath very well so should be interesting from that point of view as well as the military side.