The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering Today

Sue Light

Every day now a few people are doing a lot of work in researching the soldier featured in 'Remembering Today.' Some of the threads become long and complex, sometimes they run into dead ends, but always seem to produce extremely worthwhile research. But having been 'remembered' on the day that they died, what will happen to this research afterwards? Will it be possible perhaps for this work to be edited - all the threads sorted, the relevant information picked out, and a page produced bringing together the story of each man? Perhaps then a database could be started linking to the information for each man - it's easy for us to imagine that they may have been forgotten, but it would make both a wonderful source of information for any searchers, and a very worthwhile virtual memorial for the men. There would need to be some sort of organisation to have a rota of daily editors, but in its present state it's a bit of a mish mash of gems - any ideas for making it into a diamond ring?

Regards - Sue

This enthusiasm for researching the daily name is something I didn't foresee when I suggested the idea and drew up the database.

There is, indeed, a wealth of info which ought to be preserved - and it will only grow!

There is already a suggestion before Chris that a special section be created for these results and, if he agrees to this request from a number of members, then I am happy to volunteer to look after it - keep it tidy, move posts etc - for future researchers. As a moderator I already have the facilities to do this.

I suppose that is the least I can do having set the ball rolling!

I believe that a number of the regular contributors to the reasearch are already talking off-Forum to set up a rota - with Racing Teapots and Christine at the fore.

Terry

If you are after votes that this is a "good idea", then I just voted YES. And I'm happy to keep chipping in wityh info if the unit or geography matches with my meagre knowledge.

John