Pals

Just found another distant relative on CWGC

Private Sidney Ralph Tyrrell

SS/666 (oninous number ;) )

38th Depot Unit of Supply

ASC

Died 10/07/1915 aged 23

Buried St Sever Cemetery, Rouen

Could someone please have a look on Solders died for me. Also if anybody else has any further info.........

Happy New year to you all.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Details are :-

SS/666 Private Sidney Tyrrell

Royal Army service Corps

Died, France & Flanders, 10/07/1915

Born Taunton

Enlisted Bristol

Residence Bristol

Steve

Pals

Many thanks for your prompt responses. They confirm the geneolgical research that Mrs Spiller is doing.

I tried asking about the Depot Unit of Supply and his Service number prefix on another thread and only Mr Bowbrick responded with "The SS prefix refers to 'Supply Specials & Labour'".

Unfortunately, the mother site does not give much further info on what the meaning of these two terms are. Does anybody else have any info?

Regards

Andy

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Andy,

Let me try and help you with a bit more info on the 'Supply Specials & Labour' men of the ASC and quote two soldiers I have researched in the past for a friend.

It was realised that there was an acute shortage of Labour early on in the war and in late 1914/early 1915 steps were taken to recruit men who in civilian life were use to labouring including driving, working on wharfs and docks etc.

SS/13943 Pte Stephen Ford ASC, worked as a docker in Southampton. He enlisted on 7 July 1915 and was sent to France on 18 August 1915. He worked at the docks in Boulonge, unloading supplies until his discharge on 14 April 1917 suffering from a back complaint.

SS/6738 Pte Edward Jones ASC worked as a Warehouseman in Cardiff. He enlisted on 2 March 1915 and was sent to France 15 April 1915. He was employed at a Coy supply depot. (Record was too damaged to make out unit). He was discharged on 5 April 1917.

I hope this is useful. It is possible that your relative worked in a related trade who knows.

Ian

Ian

As usual you are a fountain of knowledge.

I have, at present, not a lot of further info on this man - other than some of his ancestors and his link to my direct forebears. He was born abt 1892 and was still at school at the time of the 1901 census.

Do you have any info on the 38th Depot Unit of Supply?

Regards

Andy

BTW - Do you mind if we could have another "off forum" chat about Pioneers.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hello Andy,

I have no access to my mailbox at the moment ut would be happy to exchange e-mails after 5 January.

Sorry I have no specific info on the ASC Coy in question.

Cheers - Ian