The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Galloway - Fiji to King's Rgt

JulianB

A letter from my great uncle dated July 1916 records the death of a fellow officer called Galloway who had been in the 16th KLR then, like him, transferred to 4th KLR. He wrote "He was a very nice chap at Prees [Heath], & came over in the ranks of the Fiji contingent."

I have located a Lt Graeme Stuart Montgomerie Galloway 4th KLR KIA 4.7.1916, no other info on Kingsmen database. Is this the chap from Fiji, did you know about him !?

I already have him

2nd Lieutenant Graeme Stuart Montgomerie Galloway, no 30 2nd Fiji Contingent, Fiji Defence Force, born 25 November 1889 Bondi, Sydney, NSW. s/of Richard Montgomerie Galloway, Crown Lands Office, Dubbo, NSW. educated St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill, Sydney. Hawkesbury Agricultural College, graduated 1908. Sugar Cane inspector in Fiji. spoke Hindustani. employed by Vancouver Fiji Sugar Company. enlisted April 1915 in Reserve Australian Light Horse. discharged 21 June 1915. travelled to Britain. re-enlisted 19 August 1915 in Stratford, Essex R/15212 6 KRRC, then 8 KRRC to commission King’s Liverpools 29 October 1915 21st Lancs. Fusiliers embarked for France 2 June 1916 mentioned in War Diary at Cuinchy. KIA 3 July 1916 Cambrin Churchyard Extn,Pas de Calais, France

Galloway is not in the Australian Nominal Roll, because that is for people who served overseas under the Australian flag, and he was only in the reserves

The reference to the Lancashire Fusiliers comes from the Fiji Times of June 2 1916 which states that 2nd Lieutenants MY Craig and Galloway were now in the 21st Lancashire Fusiliers.

It's only a newspaper comment and could easlly be wrong

If anyone with knowledge of the Lancashire Fusiliers could check these 2 names , I'd be grateful.

The CWWG inscription makes no mention of it

In Memory of

Second Lieutenant G S M GALLOWAY

4th Bn., The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

who died

on Tuesday 4 July 1916.

Remembered with honour

CAMBRIN CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

I'll have to check the LG.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention