The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers 'claiming' relatives

Guest Ich dien

I recently came across a reference to soldiers being able to ‘claim’ their younger brothers serving in a different unit. The idea was to get the younger brother transferred to the elder brother’s unit, which would be pleased to have him as he would be of similar 'type' and would settle down quickly.

I have also seen a reference to a father setting in train procedures to ‘claim’ his son in similar circumstances. The units concerned were infantry, both at home and in France, and the year was 1916.

Do any pals know of this procedure? Better still, can anyone quote a relevant ACI?

Jill

Jill

My grandfather (Maurice Newman) was "claimed" by one of his older brothers. I believe that he was in the Hussars at the time but, although he had to leave them, he refused to serve with his brother. He ended up in the RGA. I don't know which unit his brother was in.

Doesn't help with your query, but I thought you might like an actual example. :)

Nigel

I cannot tell you of any ACI but I read a 'Boots' pocket diary, that I was once loaned to me, that belonged to an original volunteer to the 1st Birmingham Bn. He had been wounded on the Somme during the summer of 1916. Most of his close friends and comrades who he knew from his early training days had either been killed or wounded also. Having decided that the battalion would not have the same spirit, so to speak, he let an elder brother claim him and he transferred to the Worcestershire Regiment.

Terry

Four Brothers from my Village ( Ramsdens) enlisted in three different Regiments but two of them transferred to join the other two in the 9th Leicesters, two of them were awarded the Military Medal and two were killed. I knew the survivors they came from a large family of 9 Brothers.

I have just been speaking to my mother and can offer the following about my grandfather.

She believes that he was in the Dragoons (not Hussars) and his brother was in the Royal Horse Artillery. My grandfather was so upset at being claimed that he refused to serve with his brother and went into the Garrison Artillery. This was before the war.

Nigel

Guest Ich dien

Thanks for all these examples. Interesting that two brothers did not care to be so claimed: I had assumed it would be by mutual agreement!

Jill

soldiers being able to ‘claim’ their younger brothers serving in a different unit. The idea was to get the younger brother transferred to the elder brother’s unit, which would be pleased to have him as he would be of similar 'type' and would settle down quickly.

Jill - this is covered by Para 333(iv) of King's Regulations And Orders For The Army, 1912, "To enable a younger brother to serve with an elder brother (both units neing in the same country)."

The "competent authority" to permit the transfer is the OC of the unit to which the man to be transferred belongs, and "special instructions" include the need for inquiries to see if the conduct of both men has been good.

If the OC of the younger brother's unit objects to the transfer then there is provision for appeal to the G.O.C-in-C who may decide that either brother may be transferred. If the transfer was between different branches of the service (other than to the Infantry) then the man who was transferred was on probation for three months.

Regards - Tom

Guest Ich dien

Tom

This is brilliant, thanks. Anything on fathers claiming sons? The particular circs I have in mind are:

A private in 1/15th Londons on the Somme in 1916, aged under 19, declined his mother's proposal to get him transferred out of the front line (per ACI of 13.6.16O. However, later when his father came to France in a balloon unit, the boy agreed that his father could 'ask for him', which I take to be the same as 'claiming' him. As it happened the boy was killed before the papers went through (it was an unusual Army form, he said, and they didn't have it in stock in 1/15th). Very poignant story but I'd like to pin down the rules.

Thanks anyway for the KR reference.

Jill

Jill - KR 333(iv) specifically refers to elder brothers claiming a brother, and I cant recall there being any other clause which directly covers father / son transfers. There is however a clause KR 333(x) which is wonderfully vague and could well suit your needs >

"Special transfers not provided for above, both units being in the same country."

Nothing in "special instructions" does anything to qualify this, other than asking for "full particulars of the reasons for transfer."

regards - Tom