The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War 1914 - 1918 ed Hammerton

keithfazzani

I have just purchased a 2 volume set on World War 1 ed by Hammerton - there are several posts on the 6 volume set but I cant find any on this 2 volume version. Does anyone know why it was produced in this format - was it just to produce a cheaper version?

• 1 month later...

Just popping this back to the top to see if I can get a reply

Keith

The British Library catalogue shows a 1934 2-vol set, see catalogue record here.

The BL catalogue also shows the earlier publications, part-works which - others will correct me, I'm sure - were collated and sold as the multi-volume set. I'd imagine that this was a somewhat condensed version - but am again open to correction.

Jim

Keith,

This is from the Library of Congress on line catalog:

LC Control No.: 00708917

Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

Main Title: The Great War : the standard history of the all-Europe conflict / edited by H.W. Wilson and J.A. Hammerton.

Edition Information: Millenium ed.

Published/Created: [Naples, Fla.] : Trident Press International, c1999.

Description: 13 v. in 6 : ill., maps 33 cm.

ISBN: 1582790256 (v. 1)

1582790264 (v. 2)

1582790272 (v. 3)

1582790280 (v. 4)

1582790299 (v. 5)

1582790302 (v. 6)

I don't know if this helps or not, but thought I'd pass it along.

Ann

Thanks for your help on the details of the 6 volume set. I must admit as to what the difference in content is between the two I suppose I shall have to buy the six volume set and find out!

Keith, I couldn't look at the British Library record because it requires a readers pass log in, but if you can view it, examine the line that contains the physical description. The LC entry indicates "13 v. in 6" which would mean that there are actually 13 "sections" in the organization of information, but they have been bound in 6 physical volumes. If the British Library's entry contains something like "13 v. in 2" or "6 v. in 2", then the 2v. set may contain all the original content. If the 2v set is condensed, I would expect to find something (probably in fine print) on the back of the title page, on the dust jackets, or on one of the end pages. You may have already checked all this out, but thought I would pass this along just in case.

Ann