The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SMLE sling

Garron

Hey pals

I know next to nothing about webbing and slings. so can someone help me out?

What would be right type for an SMLE? as I heard there were 2 types leather and webbing.

Whats the going rate for a ww1 sling now and how often do they appear?

Cheers

Gaz

There were indeed two types of sling in general use during WWI.

The first was the web "Sling, rifle, web, G.S. (Mark I)", introduced under LoC 10442, 31 January 1901, and modified under LoC 12060 (13 November 1903) to the configuration used during WWI. This sling is universally referred to as the Pattern 1908 sling, although technically it is not part of the Pattern 1908 infantry webbing. It was originally 46" long by 1-3/4" wide, with brass end caps and hooks at both ends. Although I can't find it in the list of changes, the length seems to have been changed to a nominal 43-inches by 1908. Pre-war and WWI examples have the maker and date stamped on both brass end caps. These were made only by the Mills Equipment Company (MECo) until 1908, by MECo and Martin Wright and Sons (Wrights Ltd.) from 1908-1914, and by various makers after 1914.

The second type is the leather "Sling, rifle, pattern 1914" introduced under LoC 16978, 6 September 1914, accompanying the Pattern 1914 infantry equipment (LoC 16977, 30 August 1914). This sling is 43-1/2" long by 1-1/4" wide, and is really a reintroduction of the sling issued as part of the Pattern 1882 valise equipment, but ¼-inch narrower (LoC 4855, 29 August 1885). These are often but not always maker marked and dated.

Both types were in production until at least after WWII, and both are regularly reproduced and faked. As for prices, WWI dated web slings seem to go in the $100 range on eBay, with the leather ones somewhat cheaper, and pre-war dated ones going quite a bit higher. Of course, with eBay, on any given day...

There are also a few examples with some of the militaria dealers at about the same price range. I think Great War has a MECo 1914 dated one on their list.

Here are some web slings from my own collection:

Top row, left to right-

Warings 1917

Wrights Ltd. 1916

MECo 1915

HGRL (Hepburn, Gayle & Ross Ltd.) 1914

MECo 1913

Second row, left to right-

Wrights Ltd. 1913

MECo 1914 (note the blackened ends - this one is part of the New Zealand Pattern 1911 gear, 1914 issue)

HGRL 1917

Bottom row-

Wrights Ltd. 1908

What would a 54inch sling be used for?

Mick

Thanks John,

I will probably end up getting a ww2 one until a ww1 sling appears at the right price

Cheers

Gaz

Thank you.

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread with interest. I finally found 2 slings I've got out of my garage. They're WW1 period blackened slings. As they're blackened I got them for about $5A each a couple of months ago. I just assumed the blackening was a WW2 jungle mod to this equipment. Photo attached.

Is this a NZ issue?

Is anyone able to comment?

Could the dye be removed?

Regards,

Graeme

post-20059-1184791135.jpg

The black colour could be any one of a number of reasons.

I believe that the Irish Army routinely blackend their webbing, as an Army Cadet, we kept blackened belts, gaiters and slings for 'training kit'*, I beieve the Rifle regiments may have used blackened webbing at one point.

To remove the colour depends on how it was applied.

Try washing the sling in warm water with a biological detergent

If the above does not work, try cleaning the sling with meths (or meths and white spirit), this should remove a number of colourants (meths should deal with non-polar and white spirit should deal with polar materials).

Just a thought.

Tom t W

* To save the blancoed stuff.

** Unfortunately, there is no cynicism emoticon

Graeme,

judging by your location these were bought in Australia. The slings used with the SLR in the Australian Army were this type, and most were blackened with Raven oil, for parade use.

Chris Henschke