The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books

PoW1988

I was wondering if anyone has read any of the following books and what they thought of them:

Keith Robbins, The First World War.

Paddy Griffith, Battle Tactics of the Western Front.

Roger Parkinson, The Origins of World War One.

Lynz :lol:

I was wondering if anyone has read any of the following books and what they thought of them:

Keith Robbins, The First World War.

Paddy Griffith, Battle Tactics of the Western Front.

Roger Parkinson, The Origins of World War One.

The Paddy Griffiths book is very good - I'd read that one first!

I'd agree with Jonathan. The Griffith one is excellent.

Cool! I thought it looked like a good one. I will start reading that one tonight. I was really just going to get some general great war books but you can come across some gems in the second hand book shops in Glasgow.

Blimey, me and Jon in agreement, go for the Griffiths one first

Arm

Try the notice boards in your department or faculty at uni. There usually something useful to be found there at the end or beginning of term. It's the same with the charity shops. It's been my experience that many students use university as a means to an end and tend to offload their reading list. Look out for Jay Winter or George Grosse.

Cheers,

Dave

Try the notice boards in your department or faculty at uni. There usually something useful to be found there at the end or beginning of term. It's the same with the charity shops. It's been my experience that many students use university as a means to an end and tend to offload their reading list. Look out for Jay Winter or George Grosse.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I think I may have more chance with the charity shops though. People in my faculty generally just buy whats on the prescribed reading list and nothing else, which I like to buy for myself anyway. I will keep an eagle eye out.

Sorry to be so harmonious, but I agree....read the Griffiths first.

Bruce

Read them all, Read everything you can find time for. Consider, compare and contrast. In a year's time, you can tell us what to read and what to avoid and why.

I love looking for bargains, I found a book on the Battle of Jutland, Passchendaele, and a quirky little one "Postcripts" by JB Priestly with his radio homilies in 1940, together with all sorts of goodies for the kids, original Thomas Tank Engine, Anne of Green Gables, Rubiyat of Omar Kayam, Kipling etc etc

Will look for a Griffiths next time, he seems to be the go :)

Cheers

Shirley

Hee hee! I saw a huge book by Lyn Macdonald, which I was tempted by due to it's tiny price of £6. I had to think sensibly though. I was going to be walking around Glasgow for the rest of the day. I may sneak up on Thursday and get it.

Well done - I love getting bargains too! There's something really quite satisfying about it - especially when you find something that's out of print for a few pounds (or other currency!). It is definitely one of the things I miss about the UK now that I am in Italy. Happy hunting!

Swizz

I'm sure they do exist - I remember being in one in France and seeing loads of old wartime postcards. The problem with the books is my lack of ability to read Italian!! :D

Swizz

I'm sure they do exist - I remember being in one in France and seeing loads of old wartime postcards. The problem with the books is my lack of ability to read Italian!! :D

Swizz

Not too much of a handicap if you stick to picture postcards?

Not too much of a handicap if you stick to picture postcards?

True - some of those French ones looked really interesting (but also expensive!). But I do miss being able to look around second hand bookshops to see what I can find. I am learning Italian but its slow going and I imagine being able to sit down and read a whole book will probably always be beyond me...

Swizz

I've heard that Italian is really hard to pick up. I am doing my advanced French this year...almost got written fluency. Oral is a totally different story though. I would like to learn Italian but I think I'm going to do German next.

The Romance languages are not too difficult to gain a reading capability in. The Germanic possibly a bit more difficult. Personal preference and ability will have a lot to do with it. Perseverance is the key, as in most learning tasks.

I have done basic German before. It's really just getting the hang of the tenses and stuff like that is the problem for me.

I'm reluctant to mention this bookshop, as it's the one I go to and they're always cheaper than any other in Glasgow, so don't mention it to anyone else...

Voltaire and Rousseau