The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Unwanted

Matt Dixon

I recently obtained a copy of this book, and have to say I found it completely fascinating, and it is definately one for those who enjoy reading about a little known sphere of the Great War.

It is the personal memoirs of a Canadian agricultural officer, given the choice of either being sent back to Canada (hence The Unwanted) or taking up a minor position with a drop of rank to boot. McKendrick became an agricultural officer, charged with growing vegetables behind the line to try and provide some form of fresh goodness to the men in the line.

I had no idea that this sort of thing took place, and found the book completely fascinating. I found the British treatment of Canadian officers, both frustrating and sad, but McKendrick shows a remarkable stoicism throughout.

I found this book unmissable, and truly memorable. I never knew growing vegetables could be so interesting!

If you can get hold of a copy, I can't recommend it enough...definately one for the "Had enough of battle histories" brigade!

I am also interested in reading this book. I love to read memoirs because it really helps me to "know" the war, to try and feel the emotions and actions helps me get a fuller picture, to know what it was "really like". I am also interested because I am wondering if Mc Kendrick is the ancestor of the Mc Kendrick's in my area, as it is quite a popular name.

Lynz :lol:

I read another one recently, the name of which escapes me, about the role of the forestry corps, responsible for obtaining wood to be used in the front line. Another example of how big the war machine was.

You have read a few wee gems there. It just goes to show that if you look hard enough, you can find a book that is straying away from the "same old, same old". Where do you find these?

Lynz :lol: